Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-06-2020, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Folder Feature Requests

So to clarify my request re Routing Folders

CURRENT BEHAVIOUR is inconsistent. If you create a Routing Folder and drag tracks in, they are not routed via the routing folder, nor if you create new tracks or right click track header and Move To an existing routing folder. If you right click Move To a NEW routing folder, or convert an existing Aux you then (and only then) have an option to route all the tracks to the routing folder.

REQUESTED BEHAVIOUR to make them consistent. Have a preference to always route Routing Folder tracks via the Routing folder, so regardless of how you put things in there they always work as expected.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-06-2020, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Independent View of Folders in Mix and Edit Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSS View Post
No. It means that if you have the folders all open and spilled out in the edit window, they will all be open and spilled out in the Mix window. You can't have them closed in the edit window taking up less real estate and then have them Open in the mix window at the same time when you need to do a quick mix adjustment. They are either always open or always closed.....

I thought in the mix window, tracks are either narrow or regular. where as in the edit window there's around 6 options from mini to full screen?
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 04-06-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
I also really wish they had implemented automatic routing when you drag a track into a routing folder (expected this) - would be a great workflow for quick grouping functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
So to clarify my request re Routing Folders

CURRENT BEHAVIOUR is inconsistent. If you create a Routing Folder and drag tracks in, they are not routed via the routing folder, nor if you create new tracks or right click track header and Move To an existing routing folder. If you right click Move To a NEW routing folder, or convert an existing Aux you then (and only then) have an option to route all the tracks to the routing folder.

REQUESTED BEHAVIOUR to make them consistent. Have a preference to always route Routing Folder tracks via the Routing folder, so regardless of how you put things in there they always work as expected.
One of the features of a routing folder is that the tracks inside them can be routed somewhere else (they really should have been called aux folders), so it would actually be a problem if they automatically changed the outputs of existing tracks dragged into them.

On the other hand, a key modifer during the drag would be the best solution to your wish. Like hold down option/alt while dragging them in and then all dragged tracks get routed to the folder's aux output.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I thought in the mix window, tracks are either narrow or regular. where as in the edit window there's around 6 options from mini to full screen?
Yes. This is true. You can't have them Narrow AND regular at the same time.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:32 PM

just asking myself...
I use an SSL controller. If Edit and Mix are not linked, how I route my non-Avid controller to one of the windows? How would the controller "know" what to show?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
One of the features of a routing folder is that the tracks inside them can be routed somewhere else
I think you just described a folder.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 PM

1) Basic Folders always show an overview of the tracks inside it

2)There needs to be more view options, specifically one that allows you to turn this off. In large sessions, having lots of folders severely starts to slow down the ability to navigate the session.

I run supersessions of seasons of TV shows, and when I started to organize them with folders, I found this severely crippled my ability to quickly move about my session and find the material I was looking for.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 PM

1.) Control app: I do not see a way in tracks view to show folder tracks only.

Surface (S3): The folders remain spilled regardless of how they appear on the mix window.

PT: no issues there

2. Control app: I would like tracks view to have all my folders at the top and Closed up...tap a folder boom, spilled on the S3. Only showing folder members. Also to have a prefence in eucon to spill it to the daw as well like an automatic memory location/window config, so the mix window quickly pops up folders that were selected from tracks view on app. Both at once tracks view tap= spill to s3 and mix view...only showing selected folder. Deselecting the folder from the control app and brings everything back how it was before.

Open and close folders from iPad tracks view would be very cool. And I would like it to affect the DAW. So if I just want to open it but not spill. I would like both choices readily available. Maybe modifier + tap = open/close. Tap = Spill like a memory location (left to right). Only displaying folder members.

Surface (S3): I am aware that an update is fixing what I want...obviously close the folder on mix window means the members are hidden on the surface. I really want the s3 to always mirror the mix window. I want the mix window and s3 tracks to lock even when spilling folders.

DAW/ Eucon: How do I mirror my mix window on my s3? Can that be a eucon pref...Surface mirrors mix window? Check.

Thanks for this sticky, Folder tracks are awesome. This is awesome
Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I think you just described a folder.
No. From Avid's blogs: "...if you have tracks in a Routing Folder that are being routed elsewhere..."
Old 04-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
No. From Avid's blogs: "...if you have tracks in a Routing Folder that are being routed elsewhere..."
And therein lies the problem.

At the moment a routing folder is very confused conceptually, creating an input for the routing folder but typically not routing of the contents there, except under 2 specific circumstances. By default under most circumstances, the fader won't do anything at all. And by subsequently routing to multiple places, the fader will control some of the tracks in the folder, but not all.

IMO it would be far better to live up to the name, and default to everything routing through the folder. If you want tracks routed to many different places... why on earth not just use a regular folder?!

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM