Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Default I/O Output question

I'm running PT v10 HD Native, upgraded from my old trusty 002R, so I'm a little underwater with my new hardware (two 16x16 AVID HD I/Os and a BURL B2 ADC and Lavry Black DAC) and software.

I discovered that outputs in the ProTools I/O Settings page are only stereo pairs. I'm using a console that has 48 inputs (each channel can be stereo or mono channels). I want the ability to route either stereo or mono outputs from ProTools thru my AVID HD I/Os, and into my console.

Can't get my head around how to do this if outputs in ProTools are only stereo pairs with no mono subpaths available.

Anyone using a console in their workflow care to clue me in?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Re: I/O Output question

you can do mono or multi-channel outs in HD or a combination of the lot

maybe try rereading the section of the manual that covers IO and there may be a video or 2 on YouTube

you will probably want the Auto Make Buses checked

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks for your reply Craig.

What is tripping me up is this bit from the manual:

"You cannot create subpaths for outputs in the Outputs page of IO Setups. You can, however create overlapping paths."

So if I create all mono outputs in the I/O Settings page, do I just use the Command + click option to include a 2nd mono output for stereo sources?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Not sure if I get this. Control (nt command!) allows you to add additional output paths to a track. And no, that wouldn't be stereo.
Instead, create stereo paths in the I/O setup and 2 mono sub-paths for each stereo path (L and R). In the mixer you can then choose a stereo output (such as A5-6) or the mono sub paths (A5 or A6)

Have you tried deleting all existing paths and click 'default'? That's usually the way the default I/O is set up...

Btw, stereo outputs are odd-even (e.g. A5-6) and cannot be even-odd (e.g. A6-7).

Hope this helps.

Jan

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Yeah Jan- that's exactly what I want to do - have stereo output paths set up and use their mono subpaths for mono track outputs.

But I wasn't able to create mono subpaths. I could only create stereo output paths with NO subpath options. Then I read in the manual that in PT v10, you can't create output subpaths (quoted directly out of the PT manual in my previous post). This info then led me down the road of thinking I could create all mono outputs and use 2 mono outputs on stereo tracks. That just doesn't seem right.

Still looking into this...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM

aaa, I see. Go to the bus-page in the i/o setup, create stereo busses with mono sub-paths and tick the 'map to output' box. Assign a stereo output to each stereo bus. This should do.

Best,

J.

AVID Certified Instructor