Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 05-19-2021, 07:19 AM

Default Re: New rig issues- 2x MTRX Studios and an HDX TB3

You could also serve the 16 channels of IO from MTRX Studio 2 up to the Dante network and not connect it to the HDX card at all.

I say this next bit not for the OP but just as a general point for anyone thinking about how to structure their MTRX/MTRX Studio install.
It is obv just my personal opinion.

2x MTRX Studios is not the way I would do it.

You can expand a single MTRX Studio with any number of Dante expanders, some of which sound as good as the MTRX Studio.
All the way up to 64 channels of IO.

In my full fat MTRX the sky is the limit in terms of routable channels- thousands of them if I need to.

This is what I have attached to the MTRX:

I also have a Rednet PCIE-r, Ferrofish Pulse 16DX, Eventide H9000, Lynx Aurora N 32 Dante and a bunch of computers using DVS.

The whole point of having Dante on an audio interface like the MTRX/MTRX Studio is to be able to expand it in this manner.

2x MTRX Studios gives you the same conversion across the board but that isn't really such an issue.
I have converters from 5 or 6 different companies and they all sound fine.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 06-27-2021, 02:11 PM

Hi - like the OP I have moved over from a Logic/UAD world. Dante sounds incredible for expansion!

I have a MTRX Studio via HD TB3 box connected to my analogue console = 16 channels i/o. I record live musicians and overdub so this solution great as latency minimal; I want to connect another 8 channels of analogue i/o to use the full console. You're suggesting I should simply use a Dante AD/DA and not worry about HD connectivity via digilink? eg an Apogee Symphony with Dante card, no digilink or TB required.

Inputs into symphony get recorded into protools via Dante, and protools plays back to Symphony and Matrix, one via HD digilink, the other via Dante? Is that right?

If I do an overdub the musicians hear on their headphones (currently the cue mix from my console but via Dante in the future) with protools playing up to 23 tracks across MTRX and Symphony and I then overdub into eg Symphony on track 24?

But I hear Dante adds additional latency to HD which would make live musician overdubs more problematic?

cheers
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
You could also serve the 16 channels of IO from MTRX Studio 2 up to the Dante network and not connect it to the HDX card at all.

I say this next bit not for the OP but just as a general point for anyone thinking about how to structure their MTRX/MTRX Studio install.
It is obv just my personal opinion.

2x MTRX Studios is not the way I would do it.

You can expand a single MTRX Studio with any number of Dante expanders, some of which sound as good as the MTRX Studio.
All the way up to 64 channels of IO.

In my full fat MTRX the sky is the limit in terms of routable channels- thousands of them if I need to.

This is what I have attached to the MTRX:

I also have a Rednet PCIE-r, Ferrofish Pulse 16DX, Eventide H9000, Lynx Aurora N 32 Dante and a bunch of computers using DVS.

The whole point of having Dante on an audio interface like the MTRX/MTRX Studio is to be able to expand it in this manner.

2x MTRX Studios gives you the same conversion across the board but that isn't really such an issue.
I have converters from 5 or 6 different companies and they all sound fine.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hi - like the OP I have moved over from a Logic/UAD world. Dante sounds incredible for expansion!

I have a MTRX Studio via HD TB3 box connected to my analogue console = 16 channels i/o. I record live musicians and overdub so this solution great as latency minimal; I want to connect another 8 channels of analogue i/o to use the full console. You're suggesting I should simply use a Dante AD/DA and not worry about HD connectivity via digilink? eg an Apogee Symphony with Dante card, no digilink or TB required.

Inputs into symphony get recorded into protools via Dante, and protools plays back to Symphony and Matrix, one via HD digilink, the other via Dante? Is that right?

If I do an overdub the musicians hear on their headphones (currently the cue mix from my console but via Dante in the future) with protools playing up to 23 tracks across MTRX and Symphony and I then overdub into eg Symphony on track 24?

But I hear Dante adds additional latency to HD which would make live musician overdubs more problematic?

cheers
H
Hi,

Yes, I would expand the MTRX Studio with Dante, because you can control everything for within DADMAN.

Consider the MTRX the master interface and everything else hangs off that it much in the same way that expanding a non networked interface with ADAT would work.
You are just adding IO over ethernet.

Dante latency is minimal, as low as 250 microseconds per hop.
It won't make any difference whatsoever IMHO unless you are doing something really unusual.

I have dozens of channels expanded on the full fat MTRX over Dante.
The only issue to think about IMHO is compensating for latency using hardware inserts but that is fairly easy to do.
It could be easier though, Avid.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:37 AM

Hey appreciate the clarity here thanks! So basically gigabit ethernet is at the heart of the studio now, wow. So instead of analogue cables to headphone amps and extra pre-amps, all I do is stick on a Klang quelle hp amp or focusrite XP2 into an ethernet socket in the live room and hand it to the artist? It just routes back into my MTRX and console.... Geez this is expanding my mind, I feel like Rip Van Winkle haha

But what about Avid HD IO, Carbon, Omni - so these aren't Dante equipped, right?

cheers
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Hi,

Yes, I would expand the MTRX Studio with Dante, because you can control everything for within DADMAN.

Consider the MTRX the master interface and everything else hangs off that it much in the same way that expanding a non networked interface with ADAT would work.
You are just adding IO over ethernet.

Dante latency is minimal, as low as 250 microseconds per hop.
It won't make any difference whatsoever IMHO unless you are doing something really unusual.

I have dozens of channels expanded on the full fat MTRX over Dante.
The only issue to think about IMHO is compensating for latency using hardware inserts but that is fairly easy to do.
It could be easier though, Avid.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Hey appreciate the clarity here thanks! So basically gigabit ethernet is at the heart of the studio now, wow. So instead of analogue cables to headphone amps and extra pre-amps, all I do is stick on a Klang quelle hp amp or focusrite XP2 into an ethernet socket in the live room and hand it to the artist? It just routes back into my MTRX and console.... Geez this is expanding my mind, I feel like Rip Van Winkle haha
Exactly.

I have a switch in the room I use as a live room, I can just add multiple AM2's for each performer.

Quote:

But what about Avid HD IO, Carbon, Omni - so these aren't Dante equipped, right?
Nope, none of them are.
Better to stick with the MTRX Studios and expand their IO with Dante compatible converters/mic preamps.

Here are a coupe of articles I wrote discussing Dante/Avid MTRX and their flexibility that might help.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...m-sized-studio

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-to-avid-mtrx
Old 06-28-2021, 10:22 AM

Cool thanks!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:

cheers
H
Be aware that KLANG:quelle and X2P (and AM2) have different specs for the Dante interface.

Quelle can go down to 250 usec. network latency whereas X2P only goes down to 1 msec. In most cases it doesn't make any practical difference, but now you know.

Another difference is the sample rate. Quelle can go up to 192 kHz whereas X2P is limited to max. 96 kHz.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 AM

Hi Jeff! I'm replying to this message as I'm just configuring a MTRX/HDX system. Dante is quite new for me. You said a gigabit router will be better than a gigabit switch. I'd like to buy a router/switch that I will only use to connect DANTE devices to, what will be the best choice in this case.

Also, a little off topic from this thread but DANTE concerned (to anyone who reads this and perhaps has experience with it) : I went for the MTRX to have AES connections for my speakers and digital outboard which are AES. But I'd like to add ADAT connectivity to my setup for integrating my UAD Apollo into the setup. Will devices like the Ferrofish Verto, which go as low as 150us latency in Dante Controller as I understood, provide a good option to add adat channels to such a setup over DANTE in this way, without adding any noticeable latency?

Thanks already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
To manage the 2 boxes in DADman you already need to have them on the same network which is also connected to your workstation. This can be done with a simple Gigabit switch - or better a Gigabit router. Either way, you are making a wired Gigabit connection between the 2 MTRX Studio devices. If you want to be able to listen to the output of iTunes, QuickTime, Chrome, etc -> it would make sense to also grab a copy of Dante Virtual Soundcard (virtual core audio driver - license) from Audinate which will give you flexibility in monitoring any audio application on your mac through your MTRX Studio monitor section.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2021, 09:19 AM
Avid

Yes - the Verto 32 uses a standard Dante Brooklyn II chipset (just like the 64 channel option for MTRX) - so this is a good choice for both latency and connectivity.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ