How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Default What would you do re: new ProTools 11 install

I'm throwing this out there to get some opinions--

I'm on a early 2009 Mac Pro 2x2.26Ghz quad core intel xeon computer.

Last night I upgraded from ProTools Native HD v10.0.0 to v11.0.2 and the co-install v10.3.7. I did a clean uninstall of v10.0.0 before the upgrades.

The kicker is the previous night I upgraded my OS from 10.6.8 to 10.8.5. I did not have the option to go to 10.8.4 with the software download that I bought from Apple. It simply installed as 10.8.5, and I know that is not officially supported by ProTools right now. Bummer.

I crossed my fingers with the ProTools install. v11.0.2 seems to be doing ok. I upgraded my Native Instruments stuff and had a cursory play with them. All seems ok.

v10.3.7 however, was "unexpectedly quitting" when trying to launch the program. I noticed it was always quitting when initializing the AIR dpm plugins. I read another post on here regarding this issue and I subsequently moved those AIR plugs out of the DPM plugs folder and into a folder I created to get them out of the way. Then v10.3.7 launched fine, however I didn't have much of a play with that version to verify all was well in that world.

I think I'm going to stick with v11.0.2 going forward. There are only the Massey and Slate plugs that will disrupt my workflow using that version, and hopefully I won't be waiting too long for those.

My question is whether or not it makes ANY sense to try to get OS 10.8.4 from Apple in order to get ProTools v10.3.7 running properly. I don't believe Apple would even make that available to me, so this could be a moot point.

Am I missing something? What are your thoughts? Think I'll live not being able to open ProTools v10HD? Should I leave my v10HD sessions as is and when I open them, Copy As to create a new session for v11?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Re: What would you do re: new ProTools 11 install

If you're able to continue working, I would just leave it as is. I have no doubt that 10 will be updated sometime soon to support Mavericks, which hopefully means that it will add official support for 10.8.5. as well.

But maybe you don't have to wait, I've read a few threads where users were able to get 10.3.7 working in OSX 10.8.5 just by re-installing Pro Tools.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM

What often helps (for me) in first place is to repair permissions in the Disk Utility app after every installation.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Too late for this advice, but maybe it will save someone else. Never(and I mean NEVER) update OS, or Pro Tools, without a backup plan. Mine is to clone the system drive first. Then, remove it and install the cloned version, and install updates to that drive. Only after a good 3-4 months of smooth sailing; will I wipe the old drive(or clone back to it and use it for the next round of updates). Personally, I rotate between 4 system drives, so reverting my rig to the last solid configuration is done in under a minute

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Too late for this advice, but maybe it will save someone else. Never(and I mean NEVER) update OS, or Pro Tools, without a backup plan. Mine is to clone the system drive first. Then, remove it and install the cloned version, and install updates to that drive. Only after a good 3-4 months of smooth sailing; will I wipe the old drive(or clone back to it and use it for the next round of updates). Personally, I rotate between 4 system drives, so reverting my rig to the last solid configuration is done in under a minute
Yep- I cloned my original OS 10.6.8 drive before I started any of this. Got caught with the OS update. It was either press on to see what PT v11 held, or stay with v10 and keep wondering. I chose door #2...