How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Unwanted MIDI sustain with Hybrid

Hi all,

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section - I've posted in both as I don't know whether the issue is associated with the plugin or a MIDI one in general...

Can anyone shed any light why I get unwanted MIDI sustain from Hybrid? It happens every so often - I have a MIDI sequence of short notes with an abrupt end in a 4-bar loop. somethimes, as I click and play different regions/parts of the session, the last note sustains until another note on is sent to the plugin.

I should say it shouldn't be anything to do with the plugin as the filter and amp envelopes are set with no release, it's effects aren't in use and automation for the session is suspended - sometimes (I can't figure out what it is I'm doing to trigger it) it plays as programmed, so I don't understand what's happening. Note chasing is off, but their are no notes in the unwanted sustains anyway. No other tracks are assigned to the plugin instance. It seems to happen if I jump around a lot, almost as if it can't process the info quick enough and render the sounds as programmed if I don't give it a bit of a pre-roll. But then the problem is intermittent and sometimes works just fine. Sometimes if I leave it for a few mins and do nothing in PT then press play it's ok...Could it be a memory/DAE issue?

I've noticed similar glitchy stuff with Xpand! also.

I'm stumped, any suggestions would be, as always, hugely appreciated.

thanks,

Greg
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Unwanted MIDI sustain with Hybrid

Greg, any events listed with that tracks MIDI Event List?

filosofem
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Unwanted MIDI sustain with Hybrid

Hi there....

No, no events. Like I say, the problem is intermittent, if there was a MIDI event I'd expect it to be consistently occurring. I'm noticing one or two other strange things in the session too: I have a snare drum from Xpand! programmed on an instrument track. Every now and then I have programmed a gap in the snare pattern regions, for musical reasons. When I want the snare to come back in again, the first hit is always much louder than the rest. It sounds like it's at full velocity, but the velocities are the same on all my notes. Again, no automation, nothing else assigned to the instance. Its as if the plugins need some time to figure out what they should be doing before they work correctly.

I've also noticed that Reel Tape Delay continues to feedback when bypassed?!

Strange goings on indeed!

Greg
Old 07-21-2008, 07:52 PM

Greg, when was the last time you trashed the Pro Tools and DAE Perferences and the like?

filosofem
Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 AM

I'm not sure that I have, or that I know how to, could this also be the explaination for the fact that every 5 minutes or so PT just disapears altogether, no crash, kernel panic or warning with option to save, the session, and the programme just disappear!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Update: I've trashed the DAE prefs folder and the other files as advised in the Digi docs, and I've re-installed Pro Tools. Same Prob. the MIDI sustain, or new, unprogrammed MIDI note on release of a programmed or played note, as it more accurately is, is intermittent, and I can't re-create it at will. I just think its to do with RTAS performance and its a resulting processing error. When I play a few MIDI notes further down the keyboard it release the note and reverts back to the correct operation. As for the instant quitting of the programme, its still happening even after the re-install. It's not my hardware or the interface, I know this because I have ran the the Apple hardware test utility and all is fine, plus, it occours with equal frequency with my Micro or 002R. OS is optimized as recommended, and I'm running (in this particular session) no 3rd party plug-ins. Sometimes PT momentarily stutters and then disappears, others it just goes without warning, always when I'm clicking around the session, usually getting it to play different regions in quick succession. If it's a performance thing, which I believe it is, strange as it sounds it would be nice if PT crashed in the ordinary way, or froze , or gave some sort of warning, but it just ups and leaves without so much as a hint of trouble. I'm running short on ideas and contemplating reinstalling OS X as a last resort.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Greg, you have problems, other than just Hybrid. Could you post your system specs.

filosofem
Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 AM

I do indeed! Here goes:

MBP 17" 2.16, 2GB RAM Tiger 10.4.11 Pro Tools LE 7.4cs5. Interface either OO2R or Micro.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 AM

I seem to have fixed the crashing issue - it was due to Syncronic - I had a 4-bar loop playing in the plug-in which was being triggered when pro tools played, of course. not all of my regions where starting on the bar and as I was jumping around the session, clicking various regions and hitting 'play edit selection' for quick auditioning, Syncronic was struggling to keep up, or calculate what it should be playing. Locating all my region starts on-bar has helped. I only worked this out by transfering the session to a HD rig, it didn't crash there but I did notice the plug-in clipping each time I tried to jump around. As for the MIDI in Hybrid problem, I can work around it easily enough so not to worry. Again I haven't encountered it in the HD-risiding session so I can conclude it's an anomally resulting from an RTAS processing shortfall when quick jumps around the session are continually being made.

All is (relatively) well again