Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 10:17 PM

Default Help! Reason audio files don’t match PT’s grid.

When I import a Reason audio file into PT LE, and set the same tempo in PT as in Reason, the Reason audio file does not match the grid in PT, it is a little long.

How can I import a Reason audio file into PT LE and have it perfectly match PT’s grid?

THANK YOU so much for the help!!!

Keyque
Old 11-10-2002, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Help! Reason audio files don’t match PT’s grid.

make sure the Reason tracks have loop points set properly before rendering them to individual files. only the info between the L and R markers will be extracted, so if you're a little off at the beginning of your tracks, it will be skewed in PT and thus, not lined up to the grid properly.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:50 PM

I tried that, but when I zoom in, the tail end of the loop PASSES bar 2.

If the imported Reason audio file passes into the downbeat of the next bar, it makes the
Grid in PT useless.

Thanks for the reply pk_hat, any other suggestions?
Old 11-11-2002, 12:39 AM

rendering to audio or bouncing to disk in any program will snip off the last part of drum hit if the decay of the sound goes beyond the end of the last bar.

create an extra pattern with no drum hits at the end and render and extra bar of silence, that way it doesn't cut off.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:10 AM

Ignore the grid in PT for the moment,,put PT into LOOP PLAYBACK mode,highlite the loop you have imported and play it to see if it is looping cleanly,,if it is press APPLE>I,this will bring up the IDENTIFY BEAT dialogue,,tell it how many bars your loop is and hit ok,,now the grid should fit your loop,,
Old 11-11-2002, 02:13 AM

I've always been experiencing this when importing Reason's loops in PT. Most of the time, the decay is really small (something like a few sample) so I just trim the loop to the grid and everything is OK. If the decay is a little bigger, I use time stretch to make it fit the grid...
Seems like Reason and PT have never been on the same "tempo clock"...
Old 11-11-2002, 06:21 AM

I agree with the previous post-

simply snipping the end of the loop (you'll have to zoom in and decide which end) is the ticket.

Here's a thought as to why this is just fine- loops are rarely exact. Even programmed loops in Reason. Hits will drift even within measures- that's why loops groove. One trick about Reason is that when you throw a loop on a Reason track from the Rex player, you should select it and hit the quantize button. Some of the slices are actually out of time- careful if the loop is shuffled though.

When you import a loop to Reason and it's 1 or 2 ticks over, zoom in to the front- is the first hit right on 1, I bet not. If not, trim to the front of that hit. If it is on 1, trim the end and then put PT in loop mode and listen.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:14 AM

More often than not. It is the FRONT of an import ( reason or otherwise) that has the extra bit of empty space. Make the reason loop few extra bars longer than you need. THen create a perfect loop i PT with the existing grid.

Pro Tools is the worst offender. THe BTD audio files have a huge ( relativle speaking) gap of silence before the actual bounce.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:24 PM

Thank You Chompers, your suggestion worked!!!

Thank you all for your input, good karma to you all.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:34 AM

One good tip to avoid this kind of problems: use Refuse. You'll get perfect loop that fit the grid. And not to mention the fact that the loop will play along with existing PT audio material... A must have.