Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Tempo map on a fader?

Searched for this, but nothing came up.

Producer wants to put the tempo map on a fader so he can ride it. We're tracking a band that has some wild tempo changes (and they're no savvy enough or experienced enough to let me map it). I'll end up mapping it out after the fact, and this is the FIRST song I've seen him not track with click on ever - in four years of weekly working with him.

Any ideas? ITB (no extra gear, preferrably)

Thank you all for reading.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Tempo map on a fader?

Any ideas? Digi? I need to be able to control the tempo on a fader.

I suppose I could have PT chase MTC and run an MPC to it, but I'm not sure exactly how that would work.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 AM

controlling tempo for PT on a fader is unlikely a option as i have found PT always "recalculates" itself (ie; audio drops out ) momentarily when ever i try to change tempo on the fly.. it will do it while you keep the mouse held down in 7.4 by dragging the tempo slider but once you select a definitive tempo by releasing the button the dreaded pause in audio occurs... I also can't get PT to chase midi time code and reflect the tempo of incoming clock by using standard settings... i think you need a sync i/o to get it to follow properly... But if i am doing something wrong and someone out there knows how to get pro tools to chase mtc or beat clocks and to reflect it in it's tempo whie playing back i would be extremely grateful to know also... .. please let me know how you go ! cheers
Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 AM

I can't see a tempo on a fader EVER working/being implemented. Just get the band to track from a clik from a drum machine or similar, and have the producer adjust the tempo on that. Don't forget to record the clik as audio, of course, so you can extract a tempo map later.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 AM

Doesn't help the OP in the slightest, but if you want to make tempo map changes during playback without audio dropouts - just create a dummy audio track and put it in record. You don't get audio dropouts when the transport is in record. Then just ditch the take when you're done. I've used this trick to tempo map an unclicked take during the first listen back.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Sync I/O is in every room.

Click tracks are audio. Tick-based files (1/8 shaker, 1/4 bell, 1/2 tamb). And PT will jump in record when adjusting a tempo (also in input). It won't stutter in record, but there is a jump.

I can DTM the kick file into a midi map, and I'm working with some of the now, but the producer mentioned he would like to see this implemented, and I can see why.

I usually program / map the tempo with ups and downs. But in this case, DTM -> Midi file is Extremely Helpful!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Click tracks are audio. Tick-based files (1/8 shaker, 1/4 bell, 1/2 tamb). And PT will jump in record when adjusting a tempo (also in input). It won't stutter in record, but there is a jump.
You have to put all the tracks in sample ref for this to work. It's not a trick to help change playback tempos in realtime, just to tempo map without interrupting playback. It works fine on my system, if it doesn't on yours it may be because of sync IO (I'm not using one). Anyway, it doesn't help your specific problem either way.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
You have to put all the tracks in sample ref for this to work. It's not a trick to help change playback tempos in realtime, just to tempo map without interrupting playback. It works fine on my system, if it doesn't on yours it may be because of sync IO (I'm not using one). Anyway, it doesn't help your specific problem either way.
Um, do you mean sample-base your click tracks for adjusting tempos manually while on input? I'm not totally following you, there. My clicks are always tick-based so I can make subtle tempo changes when needed and loops and clicks all line up.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Um, do you mean sample-base your click tracks for adjusting tempos manually while on input? I'm not totally following you, there. My clicks are always tick-based so I can make subtle tempo changes when needed and loops and clicks all line up.
No, I'm talking about tempo mapping sessions that weren't played to a click at all, or to try out a tempo whilst artists are doing a run-through take. It's just a trick I use to fine-tune tempos in those scenarios without having to hold up the session.

I realise it's no help for a click-based workflow and is off-topic from your original question, I only mentioned it in response to syMPh's comments about audio interruptions when making tempo changes on the fly. Apologies for any confusion.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
No, I'm talking about tempo mapping sessions that weren't played to a click at all, or to try out a tempo whilst artists are doing a run-through take. It's just a trick I use to fine-tune tempos in those scenarios without having to hold up the session.

I realise it's no help for a click-based workflow and is off-topic from your original question, I only mentioned it in response to syMPh's comments about audio interruptions when making tempo changes on the fly. Apologies for any confusion.
Gotcha. I think. I usually tap along with the band - I've been using 'tap that' for iphone (free, pretty good) and I'll note when they swell up and down. Then, as long as everybody starts on bar 3 together, the map will work.