Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: CPU running out of power...# tracks can my desktop hand

Man, I'm getting increasingly annoyed every time I see threads like this....

I think it's time to take Digi to task for this stuff.

In fact, I'm going to start another thread about it.

I'm hearing SO many of these complaints from people in the field... fails after five tracks, fails after two plug-ins, I mean, let's ask Digi this question:

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET THE FULL ADVERTISED CAPABILITY OUT OF PRO TOOLS M-POWERED?

The answer to THAT would be useful, to the end user.

All the rest of this "qualification" crapola, is just STUPID - it's like, you look on the Digi web site, and they've qualified TWO machines, and yet the box says "runs on Windows".

Well.... does it? Or doesn't it? It either does or it doesn't. And if it doesn't run on ANY Windows machine, then I expect them to tell me ON THE BOX, "this product requires a 666 mHz front side bus to achieve the full rated performance".

Otherwise, if I were a lawyer, I might say, "class action time"..... (grin)

Just kidding.... but LOOK - Digi better wake up to this stuff. I know for a stone cold fact that they're losing customers over these issues. And that's just STUPID, if the only thing that's standing in the way is some antiquated "business model".

I'm tellin' y'all, this is the kind of stuff that drives companies out of business. Digi has THE best application in this product space, and you'd think they'd have an entire corner on the market, but NO - and it kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I mean, I can buy ANY other product in this space, and it works the first time, and it's friendly with other applications, and it does what it says it does, and there's no issues with "running out of resources after five tracks" - see what I'm saying?

Having the customer go through this level of grief is just STUPID, when you know darn well that YOU CAN PREVENT IT, UP FRONT, with just a TINY bit of effort. Come on Digi, you gotta get on the ball with this stuff. This is costing you customers with every passing day you let it go on.

Here's a case in point: this thread. Another frustrated customer. This one was smart enough or computer-savvy enough to come up here to the forum, but not everyone's that way. You know, these are the guys that are going to buy HD systems someday, if they're impressed enough with your product, but they're never going to get to that point if they feel they're being LIED TO with the type of PC and the Windows configuration and the number of tracks and the number of plug-ins and all the rest.

Dig?

I'm saying this in the harshest possible way, in the hopes that maybe it'll get your attention.

Eh, Digi?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM

do you honestly believe that digi treats people that buy an HD system at the same level as those that buy M-Powered?

do the math:

typical entry level HD-1 = $20,000

typical entry level M-Powered = $350

i would tend to believe that they place a priority on those customers that shell out 20 grand.

people that buy M-Powered are left to struggle to figure it out, because they didn't pay the money up front for a CLASS-A system.

it's the equivalent of buying a second hand car that has some quirks about it, as opposed to buying a brand new Bentley.

i know that sounds harsh, but money talks, and you know what walks.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Hello, I am having a similar issue. When I create a new track in PT M-powered 7.3 and go to the edit window OR access my hardware preferences, my cpu jumps to 100%. The weirdest part is it has only been happening for a few weeks AND i can open older sessions (loaded with tracks and plugins) and PT will cruise along at it's usual ~20% usage!

System summary (more below)

-windows xp sp2
-upgraded to M-Powered 7.3.1cs4
-M-audio 1010lt is the soundcard
-3gb ram
-2ghz Athlon cpu

Troubleshooting -
Basically I've upgraded PT to the most current version, and also found a driver update for my 1010lt. It really seems like the problem is between PT and my audio interface since viewing anything to do with hardware or operating in the edit window (such as arming for record or setting an input) seems to trigger the problem.

I'm new to the forums and have already been operating with the performance enhancements mentioned in basic troubleshooting. No, i haven't disabled my nic and 1394 adapter, but my system has run smoothly for 2 years and would like to learn more about this problem.

Anybody out there seen this problem?

PC Wizard 2007 Version 1.73
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: John
Organisation: SWT
User: Pro Tools
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Sunday 19 August 2007 at 12:38

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe

> Chipset : VIA K8T800 Pro

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM ) - just upgraded to 3gb 8/19

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 6200

> Hard Disk : Maxtor (204 GB)

> Hard Disk : Maxtor (123 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : AOpen DVD-1640 PRO

> CD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON LTR-16102B

> DVD-Rom Drive : Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 2005FPW - 20 inches

> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 2005FPW - 20 inches

> Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

***** End of report *****

PC Wizard 2007 Version 1.73

Owner: John
Organisation: SWT
User: Pro Tools
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Sunday 19 August 2007 at 12:39

<<< Multimedia >>>

> Device Audio : ICE1712 Envy24 Multichannel Audio Controller

>> General Information
Manufacturer : VIA Technologies Inc (Was: IC Ensemble Inc)

> Audio Playback : M-Audio Delta 1010LT Multi

>> General Information
Reproduction : M-Audio Delta 1010LT Multi
Version : 5.10
Manufacturer : Microsoft Corporation
Product ID : 100

>> Device Capabilities
Channels : Stereo
Balance Control : Yes
Pitch Control : No
PlayBack Rate Control : No
Synchrone operations : No