Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-23-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Standby Mode

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this playback problem I'm having. Everything is working fine, except I cannot play along with a recording without actively recording new material. I would call this standby mode. I can create a new audio track and arm it and when the song is not playing, I can hear my audio coming through the monitor just fine. Then when I press play to start the song, no sound comes from the new track. The track does not indicate that there is any input and none is heard. I can hear new audio when I press play AND record. However, I need to just play along with the song a few times to figure out the part before I start recording.

This is my system. I know there are bound to be some compatibility issues, but this feels like a preferences issue or just having some button pressed in the transport that I don't understand.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
MacBook pro 13 inch mid 2012
Avid Fast Track Solo
Protools version 12.4.1

I appreciate any help. Thank you all in advance.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Standby Mode

There are recording modes that will do this. In your transport bar, does your Record button have any letters on it? Or does it look like the standard record button as always.

In Preferences>Operation>Record
Make sure PEC/Direct Style Input Monitoring is off (unchecked)

You should also be able to turn in "I" while also "R" is switched on the track to keep input monitoring open.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. The record button doesn't have any letters on it and it looks normal.

When I go to Preferences>Operation>Record i don't see anything about PEC/Direct Style Input Monitoring. I've attached an image of that dialogue window.

Also, I don't understand the last part of your reply. Could you expand on that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 3.46.13 PM.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Which version of Pro Tools are you running? The newer versions have a button on each track with I in it, for INPUT mode. Click that(show it shows green) and you will hear your input signal when stopped or when playing back.

Older versions of PT had an overall option that does the same(but for all tracks that are in record-ready) and that gets toggled by Alt-K.

Another option, since there are often multiple way to do things in the digital world; just add an AUX track next to your AUDIO track and set it for the same input you plan on recording(mute the AUDIO track while you rehearse the part, then mute the AUX track when you're ready to record(or leave the AUX track on so you hear MORE of you when you record(this can be handy when people want "more me" in headphones)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Older versions of PT had an overall option that does the same(but for all tracks that are in record-ready) and that gets toggled by Alt-K.

Just wanted to say thanks for this! It works fine on PT10 too.