Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
Just curious. What is it about heat dissipation that doesn't allow an iMac Pro run at full capacity? I have an iMac Pro 10 cores and 64 gig of Ram and haven't had a problem.

Pretty sure he was referring to the thermal protection issues Apple had a year or so ago, that wouldn’t allow the CPU to be cranked
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Hi RyanC
Real workstations never use a Core I processor...
Plenty of workstations use the Core I series of processors. We discovered right here on this forum many years ago that Protools runs better on the consumer Intel CPUs than on the Intel Xeon CPUs because it makes better use of the faster non registered memory that the Xeons need to run.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Look at the waves soundgrid boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Expensive doorstops. What about them?
For the record, I'm using a pair of blue Digidesign 192 interfaces (one analog, one digital) with a Waves DLI and a tricked out 2010 Mac Pro and Waves Soundgrid Impact Server. My Waves plugins load like a champ utilizing the CPU power of the Impact Server. Hardly the doorstop you describe as demonstrated by the many, many live sound engineers using Soundgrid in mission critical live situations around the world.

Yeah, if you're looking to crash Pro Tools current version (Mac OR PC) all you need to do is load up a CPU heavy AAX plugin such as Bias FX 2 or any number of reverb plugins out there. I'm not a programming expert, but why oh why did Avid years ago not make it super easy and inviting for plugin makers to provide DSP versions and make affordable options for their customers. Better yet, Pro Tools should just buy the plugins and include them for their subscribers and make them rock solid. When was the last time you saw Avid produce a plugin under their own name? I'm thinking it was the Pro Series circa 2013 nearly 6 years ago. 6 years ago!!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD

Last edited by JFreak; 04-10-2019 at 01:07 AM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Expensive Doorstops? I do t think so. I’ve done loads of nationals on my rigs , including Run The Jewels and Arrested Development t.

I’ve never had a failure on a show.

I’d suggest if anyone thinks SoundGrid units or LV1 are doorstops, to go over your rig and find YOUR problem. Lots of ya are running successfully. Some are having problems but it’s nearly always user error

Is what it is. If you can’t properly configure a computer or follow qualification requirements it’s not for you

For what its worth, I sold all my avid HDX/HDN hardware and I/O’s long ago in favor of Waves SoundGrid and Hardware. No regrets and not looking back. My rigs are more stable, reliable, and powerful than I had with Avod - and Waves doesn’t rape me every year for software - I can WUP when I want for everything I own for only $300 - and I can skip as long as I want and there’s is no penalty. Avid should take note.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
Expensive Doorstops? I do t think so. I’ve done loads of nationals on my rigs , including Run The Jewels and Arrested Development t.

I’ve never had a failure on a show.

I’d suggest if anyone thinks SoundGrid units or LV1 are doorstops, to go over your rig and find YOUR problem. Lots of ya are running successfully. Some are having problems but it’s nearly always user error

Is what it is. If you can’t properly configure a computer or follow qualification requirements it’s not for you

For what its worth, I sold all my avid HDX/HDN hardware and I/O’s long ago in favor of Waves SoundGrid and Hardware. No regrets and not looking back. My rigs are more stable, reliable, and powerful than I had with Avod - and Waves doesn’t rape me every year for software - I can WUP when I want for everything I own for only $300 - and I can skip as long as I want and there’s is no penalty. Avid should take note.
JFreak is salty towards Waves, because he wasted his money on an HDX rig and Waves never delivered AAX DSP plugins, if I recall correctly. Since then he's just whining about Waves every time someone mentions them. There's no REAL world basis for that, as in most things he says. Just ignore him.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-10-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
JFreak is salty towards Waves, because he wasted his money on an HDX rig and Waves never delivered AAX DSP plugins, if I recall correctly. Since then he's just whining about Waves every time someone mentions them. There's no REAL world basis for that, as in most things he says. Just ignore him.
No, didn't. Actually didn't buy into HDX because I was using Waves TDM at the time pretty heavily.

The reason I "whine" about this is I don't take promises lightly and their promise was to support "every major plugin platform out there", and their thinking of Avid DSP not being a major platform didn't make me happy. And of course the fact that 50% of the price I paid for Mercury TDM just vaporised with that decision.

They even published results of SSL Channel plugin (a heavy one anyway) that they were able to have "only marginally better" instance counts compared to Accel. We would have been happy with "similar" instance counts, but they didn't listen to us.

Which is why a customer can "whine".
Old 04-10-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Which is why a customer can "whine".
Sure, but maybe hating on anything related to Waves just because they didn't support a stillborn format is a bit much.
But whatever floats your boat, mate.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 AM

Waves itself is getting long in the tooth. Notice how cheap their bundles are now? Always on sale. 90% of the stuff is filler.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Sure, but maybe hating on anything related to Waves just because they didn't support a stillborn format is a bit much.
But whatever floats your boat, mate.
You got me wrong, I love the L3LL-Multi TDM plugin, as well as C6 TDM plugin and SSL Channel TDM... get the point? I was using Waves rather heavily and invested in them as per their promise

... but then their marketing dept decided that Avid's DSP platform isn't a major platform to be supported, and sure in reality it wasn't major at day one -- however replacing DigiDesign's DSP platform with Avid's DSP platform would be expected to grow just as major and there they just broke their promise.

There's no other way to see it. They saw competition in DSP platforms and wanted in but made it in such a way they alienated their old customers. If they would just have released poorly optimised AAX-DSP and compared that to their own offering then perhaps people would have switched for a reason, but now we were robbed that choice.

I'm not the only one who would have accepted 1:1 instance count compared to TDM, but you can call me whiner because I've been very vocal about this and because I'm a mod in here so sucker punches are allowed.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Waves itself is getting long in the tooth. Notice how cheap their bundles are now? Always on sale. 90% of the stuff is filler.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That doesn't mean anything