Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Default AVID staff please help with this question???

I may have asked this already and may have already been placed into the right direction, however the response I was given from a user on here was still quite dry.

There are a few ways to purchase pro-tools, a few areas on the web to purchase the software. However, my question is and I will be simple and thorough as I possibley can.

I currently have pro tools le 8 installed on a Windows 7 system ( I dont think the specs matter). I am currently awaiting my brand new mac system which should arrive tomarrow Monday, I also do not think mentioning the specs matter because I already know what specs are needed and that is already clarified.

I understand that the Pro tools le 8 is not only out-dated but it is not supported anymore and anything lower than pro-tools 9 is not compatible with Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8).

Now with that said... Since I've purchased the Pro-tools Le 8 about a year or two ago which came with an Mbox 2 Mini, when I upgrade to the Pro-tools 10 do I lose the functionality of the Mbox 2 Mini and would it currently become obsolete (I plan on purchasing an mbox pro in the future to make use of the fire-wire connection but that is another conversation for a later date).

So.... overall the conclusive questions are.

WHICH purchase do I make on either the avid store website or any website that is a reseller for protools and avid productions do I make from the pro-tools le 8 to the pro-tools 10? (because I obviously will not be installing the pro tools le 8 on the Mac Mini).

Do I purchase the upgrade/cross-grade for the near 400 dollars OR do I purchase the full version at nearly 700 dollars?

Or does either purchase even matter? Can I have an explaination on that as thoroughly as possible.

ALSO.... will my interface be compatible still with the Pro-tools 10? (Again I have a Mbox 2 Mini that came with the now obsolete pro-tools le 8).

Links are cool for refference... but I need explainative information rather than direction of where to buy. I need some verifiable confirmation to what I have to purchase and avoid making a purchase of high expense.

Much appreciated Avid, thank you!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Default Re: AVID staff please help with this question???

In case you don't have any luck here (this is the DUC, the U stands for Users) I'd pose that question to your dealer. Often they can get in touch with reps and sort stuff like this out quickly and possibly in a more customized manner. Possibly getting stuff done for you that wouldn't happen otherwise. In other words, make your dealer earn their mark up!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM

My dealer meaning? Avid themselves I would assume?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruestPain View Post
My dealer meaning? Avid themselves I would assume?
Did you buy direct? I use GC Pro myself, so I was referring to them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM

I am not Avid. However I suggest that if you don't need to continue to run PT on the windows laptop, I would purchase the PT LE to PT10 upgrade. This simply involves supplying the serial number from the Mbox.

If you want to continue using PT 8, then purchase a full license.

Note : an ilok is now required for authorization.

My 2nd gen Mbox works with PT10 though did require an updated driver (available from the Avid website).
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Also Avid is listing the MBox2 series as working with PT11.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Not Avid, but what I would do (depending what you're using your interface for) is buy an 11rack and get PT10 - free upgrade to PT 11 for $699. That's a steal of a deal if you're requiring your interface for guitar and vocals. Check it out on Sweetwater - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenRack.

That's what I would do...still bitter that I missed this deal by a month and paid $699 just for my PT10 license.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Truest Pain,

If you do the crossgrade from LE to 10, it is based on the serial number of your Mbox2. So you don't need to have 8 installed for it to work. PT10 is a full installer.

This would be $399, as you know, and would also give you a free upgrade to 11.

However, I agree with DrDAW, you might as well buy an Eleven Rack, which comes with PT10, and a free upgrade to 11, and 4 free plugins (2 of them REALLY good), all for $648 right now at B&H Photo.

Also, you can continue using your Mbox 2 in PT10 and 11 if you want.

You can also use any 3rd party interface as well. You don't have to limit yourself to Avid (though the new Mboxes are great and sound excellent).

AND, don't restrict yourself to firewire. USB has come a long way, and in most cases is as good or better than firewire now. Especially if you're on a Mac.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 AM

Same answers I gave him in his previous thread (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=337350). Linked him to the product he needed from Sweetwater (Avid Dealer) and told him to call them to confirm. Guess he doesn't like marsupials?

Last edited by WombatStudio.Org; 04-15-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Added link to previous thread
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
PT10, and a free upgrade to 11, and 4 free plugins (2 of them REALLY good), all for $648 right now at B&H Photo.
Which ones b/c I checked the site and it is indeen 650 but which plugin's come with it b/c I don't see that info.....Thanks.

off topic i know....sorry
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.