Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Importing audio files for remix - convert or set session to match source audio?

In PTMP 8, I usually use 24 bit 48 K as my default sessions settings. I have a few songs originally done in Logic 5 on the PC and they are 16 bit, 44.1.

PT will convert these files upon import to my default settings - or, would I be better off just creating a session to match the source files? Is there any benefit or harm with the conversion?

It's OK if there's no benefit, as long as it doesn't mess anything up. It's going to be mostly just a remix, but I may want to add new parts which I would rather do at the higher bit and sampling rates.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Importing audio files for remix - convert or set session to match source audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSW View Post
In PTMP 8, I usually use 24 bit 48 K as my default sessions settings. I have a few songs originally done in Logic 5 on the PC and they are 16 bit, 44.1.

PT will convert these files upon import to my default settings - or, would I be better off just creating a session to match the source files? Is there any benefit or harm with the conversion?

It's OK if there's no benefit, as long as it doesn't mess anything up. It's going to be mostly just a remix, but I may want to add new parts which I would rather do at the higher bit and sampling rates.

Thanks!
Unless you're mixing audio for video there's no real reason to use 48KHz. Stick with 44.1 KHz. As far as your question - work at the imported files rate and depth. 48 KHz isn't going to give you any benefit over 44.1.

QAPLA!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Importing audio files for remix - convert or set session to match source audio?

Thank you MusicMan - that was my gut feeling, it's good to have it confirmed.

I've just been going through my projects I've completed over the last 10 years - not a lot of stuff, but it seems that I did more before I got ProTools, which was at V6 when I converted over. The decreased productivity was not the fault of the software, just life things. Logic 5 was really not a very good program. I think that it would only do 44.1/16 bit, or that was the limitation of whatever interface I was using at the time.

But thanks again and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Ideally you would create an empty 44.1 session at 24 bits and import the files/tracks. The files would go thru no conversion but any processing or new recordings would benefit from the extra bit depth.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Ideally you would create an empty 44.1 session at 24 bits and import the files/tracks. The files would go thru no conversion but any processing or new recordings would benefit from the extra bit depth.
Actually there would still be the upconversion to 24 bit from 16 bit.

QAPLA!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:45 AM

I only use 24bit/48kHz unless someone pays me extra for 24bit/96kHz.

I've never understood the compromise of 44.1kHz and its upsampled 88.2kHz versions; and had someone asked me, I would have chosen 64kHz as the one and only sampling rate ever available. But that would not have made it possible to enter the bigger-number-is-better game, would it?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:07 AM

Is/was the same on cheap mixer.

Darryl Ramm
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundcontrol View Post
Is/was the same on cheap mixer.
Exactly!