Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Re-learning to mix ITB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
mano...I've posted most of the helpful comments in this thread in fact. If you don't understand them then certainly you should go back and meditate on them...I am not contradicting myself at all.
Mate, its you who needs to go back and read the posts in this thread, and maybe, just maybe you'll actually learn some valuable points from far more experienced users than you.

You're constant argument about floating point, clearly shows your ignorance and lack of knowledge in the real world of making records!! you have one argument about native mixing And only a complete amateur, someone with no real world experience in making records (maybe someone like yourself) would make records at those levels in the box.

You insist on constantly posting in just about every thread with bad and misinformed information...

"If fader position matters so much, just use a trim plugin, or a level setting on one of the other plugins."

"in a modern floating point engine like LE gain structure is nearly completely ignorable ITB."

"With most plugins in LE, you can run everything hundreds of db up into clip, and pull it all down right in front of the converter or filesystem without any distortion or quality loss whatsoever."

There's lots os people on this forum who make great records on a daily basis! i guarantee not one of those record makers will agree with your points of view

See monkey, do monkey do

There's nothing more dangerous than someone with a little knowledge and a big mouth.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=WernerF;1441459]I personally prefer to mix with some mastering going on on the mix buss. That is one one of the things that makes mixing on an SSL great too.

It is "always" better to be good at mixing and leave the mastering to the ME's. We MEs receive too many records with bogged attempts at mastering. Learn to mix properly and then..........
Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 AM

Learn to mix properly, learn to master properly, learn to play properly...and once you've got it, you'll be pretty old...and will have watched your friends (who never learned it properly) spend most their time in the charts

iMac27 i9 3.6 (late 2019) / 64 GB Ram / OS 10.15.7
Apollo 8 / PT Ultimate 2020.9.1
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 AM

Chris, well said.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Mate, its you who needs to go back and read the posts in this thread, and maybe, just maybe you'll actually learn some valuable points from far more experienced users than you.

You're constant argument about floating point, clearly shows your ignorance and lack of knowledge in the real world of making records!! you have one argument about native mixing And only a complete amateur, someone with no real world experience in making records (maybe someone like yourself) would make records at those levels in the box.

You insist on constantly posting in just about every thread with bad and misinformed information...

"If fader position matters so much, just use a trim plugin, or a level setting on one of the other plugins."

"in a modern floating point engine like LE gain structure is nearly completely ignorable ITB."

"With most plugins in LE, you can run everything hundreds of db up into clip, and pull it all down right in front of the converter or filesystem without any distortion or quality loss whatsoever."

There's lots os people on this forum who make great records on a daily basis! i guarantee not one of those record makers will agree with your points of view

See monkey, do monkey do

There's nothing more dangerous than someone with a little knowledge and a big mouth.

Chris

Right On!!!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=lbl;1444622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I personally prefer to mix with some mastering going on on the mix buss. That is one one of the things that makes mixing on an SSL great too.

It is "always" better to be good at mixing and leave the mastering to the ME's. We MEs receive too many records with bogged attempts at mastering. Learn to mix properly and then..........
Wow. I guess I don't know how to mix properly. While you're at it though, you might wanna call the numerous labels that hired me to produce and mix the records for their bands that they should recall those products because they weren't done properly. Oh, and yeah, please call the numerous ME's that I have worked with and tell them that they were really out of place to not chastise me for being so bad at what I do.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
Learn to mix properly, learn to master properly, learn to play properly...and once you've got it, you'll be pretty old...and will have watched your friends (who never learned it properly) spend most their time in the charts

yeah....screw what it sounds like

just give me the money...NOW.....i need to be rich and famous

so i can afford to pay for your social security.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
DTS, I really, really don't mean any condescension. Honestly. But when you work your way out of teaching, and tech support, and actually try to make it in this biz, and you get a few years under your belt, and you do everything right on project after project and nothing ends up working...

You realize, that there is one and only one important set of attributes in this business of art. And that is the intangibles.

Give me a kid who has all the intangibles galore and knows nothing about gain structure. Please! I will teach them 95% of gain structure within a week, without fail. Sure, they will spend the next 40 years of their life understanding the last 5% of gain structure. I don't dispute that. I have posted here before that gain structure is at least 50% of audio engineering.

But give me a kid who knows 100% of gain structure and has no intangibles? Give me a veteran who knows 100% of gain structure and has no intangibles. Same result: total mediocrity. Total missing of the point. Total lack of art. No concept. Nothing works.

The more things to trip over you can clear out of the way of a kid who is rich with intangibles but weak on technical skills the better. The hell with the tangibles. Find me a star and I'll cover their tangibles. There are a million desperate idiots out there who have the tangibles. They are permanently crippled with breath so bad it kills.
DigiTechSppt,

this is the insanity of it. You mention students and teaching... Ptree then slags you and in doing so demeans teaching.
He then goes off on a diatribe detailing how much he knows about teaching, including percentages.
This is the MO.
Unless one wants a lecture on whatever they mention, they would be wise to not engage this fella.
You ever see the Geraldo interview with Charles Manson? The same logic prevailed with CM as both the misunderstood victim and the arrogant sage. And there were a handful of people both lonely and dumb enough to kill for him. FF
Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=lbl;1444622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I personally prefer to mix with some mastering going on on the mix buss. That is one one of the things that makes mixing on an SSL great too.

I'm sure the guy meant he can faster get the desired results if the mix buss compresses everything a little. It is hard for us analog guys to get used to the "unlimited" dynamic range of a digital mixer; so, it is either "compressing each track" or "compressing the mix buss" and both approaches just mean "getting the results that the buy expects".

Of course, severe limiting during the mixdown is bad in so many ways and I believe that's what you meant
Old 08-20-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
Yep. The earlier the talent, the greater the benefit. If you begin postponing problems to the next phase, you'll become Frank Zappa ("We'll fix it in the shrink-wrap")...