Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-18-2023, 10:04 PM

Default iLOK bypass when upgrading to 9? Is there a workaround for creating a virtual USB

When I first purchased PT le 8 in 2009, hardware was required to run it. I 1 upgraded to PT 9(and a new computer)10yrs ago.

I had to enter a crossgrade activation code that needed to go onto a USB key. Because PT 9 needs iLOK and I didn't have one in 8, somehow tech support was able to help me create a virtual iLOK that license manager recognized. I was able to transfer my licenses onto this software only iLOK, it worked great np. I need to know how to create or access a virtual iLOK like this.
Is there a workaround for creating a virtual USB key?
I upgraded to PT HD and I had no problem with iLOK registration or license, instillation just went right through. 8 months go I bought a perpetual license for the PT v21.7.0 I'd been using for a year. Everything was fine until earlier this week...
For some reason when I opened protools I got the purple 'AVID iLOK enabled' screen with the quit or activate buttons. When I click to activate it sends me to login to my license account. I login and it says there's no license to activate.
I have these licenses and they are active, however they are on a virtual USB my software doesn't recognize. Ipurchased a blank iLOK USB hoping to transfer the licenses from myactive virtual iLOK to this new physical iLOK without success. I tried dragging the license from my active virtual iLOK to the physical USB but I get a "Source location is not connected" error message.
I have no idea why it's asking for activation again when I have an active perpetual license that's been fine for many months..(?)and the lack of need for iLOK because of upgrading is fricken frustrating)

I*have and ilok.com acct with my licenses registered there. I was able to contact support there and they told be I needed a USB key. I bought one but can't transfer active licenses off my old iLOK account because License manager can't find the active virtual iLOK.

Ideas how I can get protools to authorize from a virtual USB? Any help is appreciated..
-T

I have multiple screenshots of my protools dialog screens and iLOK manager for reference.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:53 PM

Default Re: iLOK bypass when upgrading to 9? Is there a workaround for creating a virtual USB

This is not really making total sense, I don't see Avid support doing what you describe for Pro Tools 9. Maybe you were working with somebody else. You account shows multiple iLoks, presumably one is the new one you purchased.

The only virtual storage that Avid support is likely to talk about is iLok Cloud, that has been supported by Pro Tools 2018.x (not sure on the .x) and later. But your (blurry) screenshots seem to show multiple activations to iLok cloud... is that what you were using most recently? Try opening an iLok cloud session. Or closing any open session and then opening it again. Also try upgrading ILM to the latest version.

If that does not help you likely need to contact Avid support. https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support. If you purchased a license 8 months ago you should be covered by a current support plan (and so able to file a support case).