Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-13-2002, 11:05 AM

Default Learning how to use EQ

Hey all. I'm relatively new at all this, and I have a question about EQ-ing and frequency stuff. I kind of get annoyed when I hear "seasoned veterans" at this when they say stuff like, "hmm..that drum sounds too boomy, lets cut out a bit at 5K," or "that guitar has an evil tone at 15k," or whatever. Does anyone know of a good reference/guide I can find somewhere which shows what instruments operate within what frequencies, and possibly how to go about learning how to EQ them when mixing? Thanks much.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Learning how to use EQ

Ok meat!

All the trick is not on the EQ is in
your ears.That is the best audio analizer
that you have.But yes there is some freqs.
reference to start ;here in the forum you can
find a lot of topic of that . Made a search
you wiil find a lot of thing that can help you.

have luck!
Old 11-13-2002, 11:43 AM

Meat Truck,

I've been learning a lot about EQ lately myself, and it's very important. Everything needs it's own space to sit well with the other sound sources. It's easy to have guitars, keyboards, vocals competing for good space in a mix.

Most tutorials tell you to start with the source and the mics before adding a ton of processing, but I performed a search on the DUC a while back and found this link to be very cool. Hope it helps.

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/aug01/arti cles/usingeq.asp

Brian
http://www.landofchocolate.net

http://www.ephemeralsun.com
Old 11-13-2002, 01:30 PM

"The Art of Mixing" by David Gibson is an excellent book which has, in several charts, the information you're looking for... EQ's for different instruments, frequencies that correspond with words like "warm", "tinny", "hollow", etc...

There is another book I have, can't remember the name of it, it's a home-recording type book with a picture of Peter Gabriel on the cover, done by the guys who produced Men at Work... it's a good book with the same EQ information and some suggested cuts/boosts.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-14-2002, 10:59 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, my ears are the answer, but I need to learn that if my ears hear something they don't like, I have to know where to go to fix that. But it's a good way to look at it. And thanks for the David Gibson book suggestion, I have a friend that recommended that too, and just lent it to me. Looks good. I'll have to keep my eyes open for that other book with Peter Gabriel on the cover, and I'll look up those url's too. Thanks, all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 07:03 PM

About the art of mixing, Yeah it's good, but don't those pictures with the guy and the headphones with his buc teeth imagining things just rub you the wrong way? With a look like that, he must be a drummer turned studio guy.

Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com