Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-19-2018, 02:29 PM

Default MIDI punching not creating New Region

Hello. I just noticed this on ProTools 12 with both my HDX and Native system. When I'm punching in MIDI, it no longer puts a break on the clip when it starts recording. I get the pink bar starting at the punch point but when I stop, it combines it all into one MIDI track/region. THIS IS NOT BECAUSE MIDI MERGE IS ON. That is off and it's not merging MIDI info on top of one another. Destructive Record is also off.

It basically records on top of the previous MIDI track, but doesn't put a break so that I can't pull the previous take forward and choose my punch point. It seems like there's some Default MIDI punch option that has been selected that's recording MIDI destructively. Interestingly, if I make an break point BEFORE I start recording and then punch, I'm able to pull the previous take forward as I always have, but it no longer does it automatically. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 AM

Default Re: MIDI punching not creating New Region

Welcome to the community.

MIDI recording is detructive (clips are consolidated) unless you enable MIDI Merge, or use loop recording.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the response! That hasn't always been the case, though. Take the example of someone playing MIDI piano. They get 3/4 of the way through the chorus before making a mistake. I would set the punch point at the beginning of the chorus and punch them in. If I liked the first part of the chorus from the previous performance better, there would be an edit line on the clip at the beginning of the chorus where I punched them in. I would be able to take the trim tool and pull their previous performance from the punch point just as I would be able to do with an audio clip. Now, it doesn't give me an edit line at the punch point so I can't pull from the previous performance and massage the punch point. It just adds it into the clip as if it was all one performance.

Again, if you do create an edit line with Command E BEFORE you do a punch, you can do what I'm describing and pull the previous performance from underneath the new one. That used to happen without needing that extra step. It's definitely something that happened in the update. I've confirmed with two other engineers that PT 12 is set like this and that wasn't always the case. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:16 AM

That's true. I seem to remember PT behaving as you describe. I've referenced the manual, and tested all I could think of in my studio, and MIDI recording in PT 2018 works "destructively", with a few exceptions.