Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 07:00 PM

Default Cheapest route to Pro Tools Ultimate

I've been using the standard version of Pro Tools for a few years and I'm finally looking to make the jump to Ultimate for surround mixing, however I'm a little unsure about what I need, and wondering what the cheapest route is.

- With the Digilink I/O License, do I no longer need an avid HDX PCIe card to use a third party interface?

- I'm currently using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface, which I'm assuming wont work with Ultimate, I've seen a couple people saying the Focusrite Clarett+ works but I'm skeptical. Is the cheapest PT Ultimate compatible interface the Red8line?

- If i go the Red8line route, Im assuming I would need the Focusrite PCIe Dante card, but I'm using a hackintosh with a z390 Vision D motherboard, has anyone had any issues connecting these to hackintosh?

- Finally, I'm hoping to only get the Ultimate subscription on a monthly basis when needed, so I would like to keep my current perpetual license, however, I've seen people post in this forum that your perpetual license disappears as soon as you get a subscription. Might be a long shot, but if I got a 2nd iLok and created a separate account for the Ultimate subscription, would this be possible?

I appreciate anyones input!
Old 03-29-2022, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Cheapest route to Pro Tools Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_1995 View Post
I've been using the standard version of Pro Tools for a few years and I'm finally looking to make the jump to Ultimate for surround mixing, however I'm a little unsure about what I need, and wondering what the cheapest route is.
You need Pro Tools Ultimate, you need surround monitors, you may need/want a surround capable monitor controller, you may want to say add/upgrade subwoofers and room treatments, etc. You do *not* need Digilink based interfaces.

Are you doing this for music or video? How many channels? Doing Atmos? Other forum areas cover those topics better than "Getting Started".

Quote:
- With the Digilink I/O License, do I no longer need an avid HDX PCIe card to use a third party interface?
You need a DigiLink license if you are using a Digilink interface(s), it's included if you buy that Avid DigiLink hardware from Avid. It's the last thing you should be worried about. I don't understand how you got this backwards, you would need the license if you want to use a HDX or HD Native hardware (with Avid or any third party DigiLink interfaces). The license is a silly regressive tax Avid charges users because they were bitter that third parties were making DigiLink interfaces without paying them a license fee.... (ridiculously easy for third parties to reverse engineer the interface...). If you are using non-DigiLink interfaces like what you have now you don't need the DigiLink license.

Quote:
- I'm currently using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface, which I'm assuming wont work with Ultimate, I've seen a couple people saying the Focusrite Clarett+ works but I'm skeptical. Is the cheapest PT Ultimate compatible interface the Red8line?
If it's giving you enough IO capability then just keep using it, Pro Tools Ultimate software features like surround, more advanced video and automation etc. work regardless of the interface and don't require DigiLink. You can run that stuff with *any* interface (as long as you have enough outputs for your surround needs).

Quote:
- If i go the Red8line route, Im assuming I would need the Focusrite PCIe Dante card, but I'm using a hackintosh with a z390 Vision D motherboard, has anyone had any issues connecting these to hackintosh?
You don't need to change any hardware. And why are you talking about Dante? Because you need lots of IO? Or you (wrongly) think that Dante is somehow like Avid Digilink IO? This question really makes no sense.

Quote:
- Finally, I'm hoping to only get the Ultimate subscription on a monthly basis when needed, so I would like to keep my current perpetual license, however, I've seen people post in this forum that your perpetual license disappears as soon as you get a subscription. Might be a long shot, but if I got a 2nd iLok and created a separate account for the Ultimate subscription, would this be possible?
As explained in hundreds of posts on DUC, some users lost perpetual licenses when they accepted discount subscriptions promotions without reading the find print (which Avid made increasingly less fine). Just buy a standard monthly subscription to Pro Tools Ultimate and you'll be fine.

If you have more questions you might be able to answer them by searching DUC (use google search with site:duc.avid.com qualifier). All these questions above have been answered here in the past.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-29-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:06 AM

What Darryl said….

And to add some specifics, the Focusrite 18i20 works just fine w Ultimate.

You don’t need a 2nd ilok for ultimate as long as you’re not running two different computers. Buy ultimate under the same Avid account as your Standard license, or not. Up to you, but a 2nd ilok is not required.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_1995 View Post

I appreciate anyones input!
You may not be aware of the recent changes to Pro Tools means that Pro Tools Studio, the cheaper version, now has Surround mixing.

Please correct me if I am wrong and this wouldn't apply to the OP...
Old 05-04-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
You may not be aware of the recent changes to Pro Tools means that Pro Tools Studio, the cheaper version, now has Surround mixing.

Please correct me if I am wrong and this wouldn't apply to the OP...
I was going to say the same. Pro Tools Studio now can do surround from all I have heard. I'm sure the main Avid site will have full details
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison
in case you're really lazy

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 05-04-2022 at 12:39 PM.