Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 PM

Default recorded cd's are playing slow

After bouncing down and making a cd... it plays back slow. I'm guessing it's a clock issue.

My hardware says 44.1 and my clock says internal. I'm bouncing down at 44.1 I did not use spdif. However, I did experience a crash while dabbling with elastic audio during the session.

I found this in a search. Is this what I need to do?

The workaround is to do the following: 1. Create a new session at the correct sample rate, i.e. the sample rate that the external device was set to when Pro Tools was clocking to it. Make sure the new session is the same bit-depth (16 or 24) and file type (AIFF/BWF/SDII) as the original session. 2. In the new session, go to File>Import Session Data and open the original session. 3. In the Import Session Data window, in the Sample Rate Conversion Options section, uncheck the box next to "Apply SRC." 4. Highlight all the tracks you wish to import. 5. Click the "OK" button. The new session will now playback at the correct speed.

I'm going to try and let you know the results.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Default Re: recorded cd's are playing slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikerama View Post
After bouncing down and making a cd... it plays back slow. I'm guessing it's a clock issue.
I know it is a clock issue. And I know it caused by something you are doing wrong.

But we cannot guess what you are doing. How did you "make a CD?". What type of "CD" How are you playing that back? On what device?... Are you trying to reload the CD content back into Pro Tools say by playing it back into Pro Tools from the S/PDIF output from a CD-Player etc. (not a good test, too many things can go wrong). Again we cannot guess anything you are doing here. What do you mean by "I am not using S/PDIF"?

You talking Redbook audio CD? CD-ROM? DVD-A what?

What computer are you on? First test is to play back the raw bounce WAV or AIFF file using a native media player (e.g. iTunes) on the host computer.

You need to clearly describe your entire workflow and what tools you used to create that CD. Pro Tools can't create a Redbook Audio CD itself, so if you tried to do that what tool did you use?

You can work at any sample rate in the session you want.

Typically in the workflow to create a CD you will be Bouncing to Disk from Pro Tools, that is where you woudl normally select 44.1kHz output if say you are creating a standard Redbook Audio CD. Did you do that? Sounds like you tried to. Go check/try again.

Maybe create a dummy session of one track with just a click on it you want to keep it really simple/easy to check... and if that does not work OK tell us what the click tempo was in the session and what it ended up being in the final playback from CD (measuring that ratio will often give you a clue what went wrong).

You don't need to futz with changing the underlying session sample rate unless you want to. Bounce to Disk at a specific sample rate will generate what you need. If you do want to change session sample rate, "Save Copy In" can be easier (read up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide to understand what that does).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-25-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM

We also need to know ALL of the hardware involved as I suspect the session, though you created it at 44.1K, might be running at 48K due to external clocking(I have done this one myself so I feel your pain) If none of your other experiments pan out here, try this, crate a new blank session at 48K, import session data and select all tracks, and DO NOT apply SRC. Then run a bounce to disc and bounce to 44.1K(Pro Tools will convert and this is what you want). If the session is at 24 bit(and I ALWAYS work at 24 bit) keep in mind that you should use dither as the last process for creating a 16 bit file for audio CD burning. There are some gaps in my details here, but I am assuming you have the knowledge to fill them in(if not, I'll be happy to recap with greater detail)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Guys, I appreciate your input. My regular internet is down. I will update this thread when I get off of this iPad.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 AM

First of all, thank you to Daryl and Albee for jumping in :)

I have found an acceptable work-around! But, I feel I owe it to the board to describe what I experienced. Honestly, I am in no need to figure this out unless it happens on other sessions.

Crisis #1- After dabbling with elastic audio, my pc crashed. After restart, my session played with slower tempo and lower pitch. I reverted to last saved session. After loading, it played back normal.

Crisis #2- Session playback is still normal, but after bouncing to disk and burning a cd, the cd has playback with slower tempo and lower pitch. My session is at 44.1k and my bounce-down is 44.1k. No external devices were ever used. One track is an EZDrummer2 plugin.

Crisis #3- Session playback is slow tempo and lower pitch again.

Important: I found that my playback becomes normal after switching the clock to a spdif input. But, after bouncing down, the low and slow problem still exists.

I tried importing session data into a new session. My wave files converted to 48k and played correctly but I could never get EZDrummer2 plugin to line up in perfect time with my other tracks (wave files).

Work-around: Bounce original session down to 44.1 wave file (including EZDrummer2). Import the file into a new 48k session. Then, bounce down and burn cd.

I am using an mbox.

Again...I'm happy with the work-around.

Thanks again, guys.