Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Audio Partition and Boot Camp Partition trouble

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz OS 10.5.5. I have a Boot Camp partition with XP. I created a new partition on the Mac called Audio for the Session Files, etc... I am recording on the Mac side and not using Windows for Pro Tools. I did not touch the Boot Camp partition. When I try to boot to Windows however, I get the blue screen that flashes too fast to read the errors and the Mac reboots. I copied the files from the Audio partition so I would not lose the session data and deleted the Audio partition. Now I can boot into Windows.

Is there any special way I need to partition the drive so I can use Pro Tools and Boot Camp.

I searched the forum and contacted Digi tech support via email. Tech support said they had no reports of Pro Tools affecting a Windows partition using Boot Camp.

I must be missing something here...

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Rich
Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Audio Partition and Boot Camp Partition trouble

Seems strange.. I doubt ProTools has anything to do with it.. Maybe try on the Apple forums.

Maybe if you reinstalled windows... In other words, add your 3rd partition, then delete and reinstall the bootcamp/XP partition.. If you're a regular windoze user then you should be used to having to reinstall windoze every time something goes wrong.... Ah I'm JK..

You do know that you should not record to the system drive, right? Doesn't matter that it's a partition. You should have an external FW drive..
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Ditto on you should not record to your system drive or any partition on the system drive. A partition gains absolutely no performance boost over simply recording to the main partition(which, though not sanctioned in any way, might work okay for 2-4 tracks). I would delete the partition and get a firewire drive(an approved firewire drive).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 AM

Thank you very much for the responses. I thought I was not supposed to record to the "Startup" drive - my bad. I will get an approved firewire drive like you suggested.

Thanks again,

Rich