Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Default High pass and low pass filter for distorted guitars?

Howdy folks. It's been quiet around these parts for awhile, thought I'd throw a question out there and see what's shakin'

I was working on some new tones tonight with the Modern SOD, Mark 2 lead and SLO Drive channels, all going through a V30 4x12 cab with the ribbon 121.

At first I was finding things too boomy, so I engaged a low pass filter. But after a couple of hours of playing, I started to feel that things were a little on the shrill side, and no amount of amp knob twisting seemed to get rid of it, so I tried turning on the low pass filter and that really seemed to hit the spot! I find that a high pass filter somewhere between 80~120 hz and a low pass filter around 8~12k (depending on the amp), but at 6 dB, really helped clean up the fizz and muck.

So what EQ/HPF/LPF do you guys have up your sleeves?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Re: High pass and low pass filter for distorted guitars?

I'm often using both HPF and LPF going direct to PA (2x15 tops, 2x18 subs). The 4x12 cabs can have a lot of low end happening, and I find the HPF to be the easiest way of getting rid of excessive thumping. Sometimes I'll have it up as high as 150hz with a softer slope, or a little lower with a more extreme slope. I also use the LPF to get rid of excess sizzle. Sometimes I'll scoop out some of the lower mids around 350hz to get rid of mud, boost around 1k to add cut, cut around 3-4k to get rid of some screechiness.. it's all totally situational and depends on what I've got in the signal chain, but the ParaEQ gets used more often than not, on my live patches.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM

It depends on the guitar and amp combination (and the tuning), but in general these settings are good starting points for EQing, at least for real amps/cabs. Most guitar speakers have a frequency range of about 80-5000 Hz (it depends on the speakers), not meaning that they end abruptly, instead they slowly roll-off below 80hz and above 5000hz.

But generally speaking you will not find anything of importance below 80hz (unless you tune to C standard ) and above 10k Hz, and most mixing tutorials recommend rolling off at about 80hz and 10k Hz. I think it is a good bet to also apply those EQ points for modelers.

I am still trying to make sense of the HPF and the LPF on the PEQ in the 11R. Why are Q and Gain active when I e.g. select a HPF6? I mean HP6 means 6db per octave, but I can even go to -24db when selecting the HP6 type ...? Am I missing something?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf_T View Post
I am still trying to make sense of the HPF and the LPF on the PEQ in the 11R. Why are Q and Gain active when I e.g. select a HPF6? I mean HP6 means 6db per octave, but I can even go to -24db when selecting the HP6 type ...? Am I missing something?
This is also something I've quarreled within myself about. Obviously, I've just been setting it to function/taste (probably should put the latter first), but would love to hear from "the team" about this.

Regardless...along with the Bogner amp sims, the PEQ is one of the best things about the ERXP, IMO.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 AM

I usually start off doing the "fizzy frequency removal" thing that you can read about HERE, then I adjust the high/low pass filters to suit the tone that I'm after.

For me, the PEQ is the best tool the 11R has! It is indispensable!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Mike, thanks for the link to that easy to understand article. Great stuff.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_with_v View Post
Mike, thanks for the link to that easy to understand article. Great stuff.

Your welcome sir!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Avid

If you haven't already, you might want to check out a couple blog postings I wrote about using the PEQ to do booster pedal effects.

http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid...even-rack.aspx

http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid...-boosting.aspx
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
At first I was finding things too boomy, so I engaged a low pass filter. But after a couple of hours of playing, I started to feel that things were a little on the shrill side, and no amount of amp knob twisting seemed to get rid of it, so I tried turning on the low pass filter and that really seemed to hit the spot! I find that a high pass filter somewhere between 80~120 hz and a low pass filter around 8~12k (depending on the amp), but at 6 dB, really helped clean up the fizz and muck.
I was finding the SOD amp running into the 4 x 14 a little too boomy, so I did what you suggested and engaged a High Pass filter (HP6) at around 89 hz and the boominess disappeared!!! And I suppose I could've used any of the dB settings and gotten the same result.

In any case, this is the first time I have actually used the PEQ and gotten a recognizable result, I know I'm a little late to the party, but, before this I was just stuffing around with the PEQ without knowing what the hell I was doing. At first I used the EQ 7 band plugin before putting that into the 11R PEQ.

So thankyou adamqlw, for opening my eyes to the PEQ. Haven't gotten around to putting in a LPF yet, or anything else, I just wanted you to know that you really helped this noob . This is the type of information I have been looking for .

And Mike thanks for the document as well I can see, now, how eliminating fizz could be very beneficial to your sound.

And Ralf T, after seeing your post, I am a little confused by the controls when a HPF is engaged as well? I suppose this was just an oversight by the Dev team. Personally I would prefer a GUI for the PEQ like the one used in Pro-Tools plug-in where you can "see" what you are doing .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP

Last edited by Vercingetorix; 09-28-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: edit: HPF & LPF controls confusing.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
And Mike thanks for the document as well I can see, now, how eliminating fizz could be very beneficial to your sound.
The very first time I tried using the PEQ to remove the fizz, I was amazed at how well it worked!
After identifying the squealing frequency and removing it, I kept going back on the track and listening to it with and without the PEQ engaged. I was amazed at how I then could notice and identify that squeal on the original track. The PEQ is a REALLY useful tool to help train your ears on identifying sounds and frequencies, and how to adjust them to your liking.