Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-10-2020, 02:51 PM

Default Need Preference for Folder Track Orientation

Greetings everyone!

I believe this to be fairly simple. If I'm missing this, please let me know. I don't know how others react to this.

If I have an Aux as a submaster/subgroup track, it is normally at the right end of the track section. When I make this a routing Folder Track, it is then at the left end of the track section. This is really throwing off my mix orientation as I'm working through a session.

This is actually really confusing because your subgroups swap position to the left of the tracks when made into routing folders.

Can there please be a Mix Preference which allows the user to set the Folder track orientation to "Right" or "Left" or something similar? Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to use routing folders anymore. bummer...

🙏🏻
Blessings,
Ryan
Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Need Preference for Folder Track Orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardin View Post
Greetings everyone!

I believe this to be fairly simple. If I'm missing this, please let me know. I don't know how others react to this.

If I have an Aux as a submaster/subgroup track, it is normally at the right end of the track section. When I make this a routing Folder Track, it is then at the left end of the track section. This is really throwing off my mix orientation as I'm working through a session.

This is actually really confusing because your subgroups swap position to the left of the tracks when made into routing folders.

Can there please be a Mix Preference which allows the user to set the Folder track orientation to "Right" or "Left" or something similar? Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to use routing folders anymore. bummer...

🙏🏻
Blessings,
Ryan
I also usually have my auxes to the right, but I've adapted to the new arrangement. Maybe there should be a preference or at least the ability to move it over to the right if you want to.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:17 AM

Yes, this is very weird! Aux's are to the right, of course! And we need to be able to change this, ASAP, please!
Old 04-19-2020, 07:33 AM

Agree. Having the folder at the bottom (edit view) or right (mix view) seems more logical.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Agree. Having the folder at the bottom (edit view) or right (mix view) seems more logical.
Just the same where it is on edit window, but I'd surely like to see it on right of tracks on mix window
Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 PM

This is doing my head in too! A preference option would be great.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:44 PM

+1

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-19-2020, 01:56 PM

+1
Old 04-20-2020, 02:57 AM

Yeah, as soon as I saw the "aux" routing folder on the left, instead of the right, I stopped using them. I thought it was just me being intractable!

Also, why isn't there a fader of some kind on "basic" folder to control everything in that folder? Like a "mini VCA" maybe. There's already effectively a control group for "mute" and "solo" on those folders. Seems such a waste of space.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 04-20-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:38 PM

For me the hierarchical nature of folders took some getting used to. Now instead of viewing my session as sources that build into a final product, I view the session as a final product that branches out into it's sub parts. I honestly find it more organized this way and easier to navigate. I got used to working this way with Reaper.
I still think an option to have folders expand above and to the left would be great, and would make the transition to using them smoother.