Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Touch/Latch - Preview - Ends up in Latch?

Hey everyone,

I know this is quite an old question but wondered had it been addressed in PT12.

I - like most people in Post Production - use Touch/Latch when I'm mixing.

However to set atmos levels I stick it in loop preview. . .which stops the latching so I can set levels for all my atmos tracks. . .I can pan them in surround etc, then when they're balanced I push CAPTURE.

At this point I then select write to selection , punch in the capture and then that's sorted.

HOWEVER; the atmos tracks then stay in LATCH mode even though I've never put them in this. Sometimes I forget that this happens and get to the end of a mix and realise that some of my atmos tracks will be wrong because I never realised it had reverted to Latch.

Anyone have a nifty solution?

Thanks a ton!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Touch/Latch - Preview - Ends up in Latch?

No and it's annoying to me to.I spend a lot of time every day just putting tracks into touch/latch because of this. The reason PT does this is there is no way to write volume automation from preview in touch/latch so PT switches to latch. I wish PT would: A) not switch at all and ignore volume while in T/L or B) Switch back to T/L after the punch writing pass.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
No and it's annoying to me to.I spend a lot of time every day just putting tracks into touch/latch because of this. The reason PT does this is there is no way to write volume automation from preview in touch/latch so PT switches to latch. I wish PT would: A) not switch at all and ignore volume while in T/L or B) Switch back to T/L after the punch writing pass.
I think it's great that is switches to it in preview as you have say 6 atmos tracks. . .you just set them to the level you wish, pan them accordingly. . .without them going back to their default positions. . .so having them in latch while balancing your ambiences does make sense.

It's just so annoying when you take it out of preview and punch it that it also bungs em all into Latch mode.

Ah well!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:11 PM

Question for S6 users - it seems to use the softkeys to change auto modes you have to hit "Do to Selected" first, then "Touch/Latch" or what have you. Is it me or should auto commands like that default to "Do to Selected"? I understand the option for "Do to All" but why else would I hit "Latch" if I didn't want it to affect my selected tracks? Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong and someone can sort me out.

I'd just like to turn two button presses into one.