Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Microphone Emulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepresident777 View Post
I asked a simple yes or no question. Read my original post if you don't believe me.

In response I got the answer then a whole lot of close minded opinion about what I want being impossible or unacceptable.

Oh, yeah, I'm going to just go to the store tonight and buy a boss g100, line 6 something or other, Magix something or other, etc. to show you guys I really really appreciate your time because I wouldn't want to be thought un-serious. Yeah, I have that kind of pocket.
Buy a Palmer and be done w it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Microphone Emulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepresident777 View Post
In response I got the answer then a whole lot of close minded opinion about what I want being impossible or unacceptable....

Nothing is impossible, but the available technology is somewhat limited regardless of what you purchase. The issue that you bring up is definitely very lucid and logical. I've always wondered why they can't simulate the cabinet and how the human ear can hear it and not how an sm57 or a condenser mic hear it because obviously mics add their own coloration to the sound (but then again that's the sound heard on records and live in most live performances)

To accomplish this the only thing I'm aware of so far is using "Farfield" impulse responses of the cabinet with a special mic at a special angle. I didn't even want to bother with this, because just the thought of sifting through Impulse response libraries make me cringe. But if you google "Farfield IR impulse response" you'll get more information.
I'd rather use the Impulse responses that come with ELven or whatever modeler I'm using because I believe one of these IRs is bound to give me a sound that resembles or approximate what I like to hear from an amp in the real world. If you buy a Kemper, you can't get rid of mic emulation and same thing with AXEII and these are a couple of grands each without the amplification system. For live use the recommended medium for amplification of modelers is FRFR system. For recording, I use yamaha Studio monitors and I'm really happy with them. For live performance many people use QSC powered speakers that are considered FRFR, but it's very important to choose and spend a few dollars on the amplification system when using modelers to make sure you're using it as it was intended and tested.