Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM

Default Relinking files required after session folder reinstall?

Had an HDD crash, so had to reinstall my Audio drive from backups. All good, lost nothing (supposedly).
So then opened one of my sessions from the new drive, and had to relink a bunch of files. That worked fine, but then I get error 9060/9031 and it wont play back. So I set up a new sesssion and import session data and it is fine. I am now doing this for all 4 albums we are working on....taking hours. This looks like a major bug. All the files are there, but protools doesnt like the session once you have relinked.
Also, how does it lose the links when you move the session folders from one place to another? Nothing else changed, the folder sizes were the same from source to destination (I checked, as am paranoid).
WHAT A TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME!!!!
I am running 9.05 HD (TDM), on MacOSX 10.6.8, on a 3ghz quad macpro 1.1, with 6gb of ram.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 PM

Exclamation Re: Relinking files required after session folder reinstall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belolab View Post
Also, how does it lose the links when you move the session folders from one place to another?
Pro Tools uses absolute file paths for file linking. If you have a file at /My Audio Drive/My Session/Audio Files and then you restored your data to /New Audio Drive/My Session/Audio Files then Pro Tools will not be able to find the files. Auto-relinking isn't much better, as it starts at the root of the drive and goes through all of the directories alphabetically until it finds what it is looking for. It does not start searching in any directories that are in the same directory as the session document.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Relinking files required after session folder reinstall?

So, whats the best way to manage the files if you have to move session folders? do you use the copy function in the file menu of Protools?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Lightbulb Re: Relinking files required after session folder reinstall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belolab View Post
So, whats the best way to manage the files if you have to move session folders?
I move the files, and when I reopen the session and it asks to relink, I choose the manual option and select the moved directory.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Relinking files required after session folder reinstall?

Will try that, thanks.