Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-22-2015, 03:58 PM

Default Question - PT12 or Eleven Rack

Trying to find some info about the Eleven Rack. I'm planning to buy a subscription for ProTools 12 and was thinking maybe I should jump on the Eleven Rack also. I currently have a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20. Should I even bother with the Eleven Rack? I know ProTools 12 comes with the Eleven Rack plug ins. Seems the benefit with the Eleven Rack would be outboard processing. Is there any way I can use both my Focusrite and the Eleven Rack and what would the benefit be? Dont want to spend the extra money if I dont need to. I can get student pricing on the software alone.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Question

With the release of the Eleven MKII plugin and the 11 effects, there isn't a huge benefit in owning the rack for just recording. One advantage of the rack is that the effects are stored with the presets. Another nice thing is that you don't have to fire up the computer and PT if you just want to practice or try out an idea.

Your Focusrite interface has SPDIF connections, so you could continue to use that as your PT interface and connect the 11R to it via the SPDIF connections.

I personally like having both the plugin and the rack. I use the plug in for recording and use the rack practice and occasional live use.

System Details
Old 11-24-2015, 04:55 PM

Eleven rack replaced my guitar amp, my multi-effect and my bass amp. So yes it's worth it for me. Just for recording? Yes I think it might worth it also as already said you can practice, jam, and try out ideas without booting the computer.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentalight View Post
Is there any way I can use both my Focusrite and the Eleven Rack and what would the benefit be?
The Focusrite driver will show up as either Core Audio or ASIO depending on your Operating System in Pro Tools. My personal view on the Eleven Rack over plug-in versions is primarily focused on the physicality of the device, that is a perpetual accelerator. RTAS maybe replaced, AAX maybe replaced but a dedicated hardware device that can output audio, doesn't require you to stay current and thus always yours. That's got to be superior, no?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Question - PT12 or Eleven Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
One advantage of the rack is that the effects are stored with the presets.

Your Focusrite interface has SPDIF connections, so you could continue to use that as your PT interface and connect the 11R to it via the SPDIF connections.

.....use the rack practice and occasional live use.

Yes to all of the above, keep using the focusrite and Spdif into it, doesn't matter if your using Mac or win and they aren't qualified - Spdif works all day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post
Eleven rack replaced my guitar amp, my multi-effect and my bass amp. So yes it's worth it for me..

Agreed, live use....amazing. The same tones you recorded with in a live setting
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the replies folks! I went ahead and pulled the trigger. It should be here in a few days. I'm not that familiar with hooking things up using SPDIF connections but what you are saying makes sense. I also have a Lexicon RM400 reverb unit. It has the capability to work in Pro Tools as a hardware VST allowing you to process reverbs via external gear. They recommend using SPDIF connection to your interface with this also. Can I connect multiple devices via SPDIF to my Scarlett 18i20 or will I need to use analogue I/Os for that? The RM400 connects via USB for editing and control but does not pass audio via USB. Has to be SPDIF or the I/Os.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:56 PM

You would only be able to use one spidf unit at a time. If you had to choose, i would sooner use the Eleven Rack via Spidf and hook up the reverb via analog.

On the other hand, you could just switch back and forth, as I presume you would be using the Eleven Rack for recording, and the reverb unit when mixing.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:40 AM

Good point. Simply switching the connection to the Lexicon when needed is probably the best bet. Think I was getting wrapped up in a static signal chain. No real need for that.

Thanks!