Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Problem with Music Production Toolkit 2 Licensing

Update:

I started todays session using ProTools 8 LE and 003, worked fine all day. I then exported the session as an embedded OMF. Tried to open Logic to check the file, and everything went haywire. Logic seems (since installing CPT) to have a big problem with the 003 - it claims that "Midi or Audio drivers conflict" - and simply won't run. I powered off, switched FW interface to MOTU 828 Mk II, changed nothing else, restarted, and Logic ran perfectly, opened and checked OMF without problems. So it seems that as soon as Logic is run with CPT and 003, the problems start.

Colin Orr
http://www.janus-music.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinho View Post
Yes,I've tried the troubleshooting tips, but will run through everything again eventually;-)
I'm running a MacPro 8 core 2.8, 10 GB RAM (checked), 2 TB internal SATA drives, 2 TB external FW drives (originally on FW 800 but changed to FW 400 after reading troubleshooting tips) . I am running OS 10.5.6, and appreciate that is not "signed off" yet,so hoping that that is the core issue.
I'm using MOTU MTP AV USB,which is constantly going missing, I get messages that Mac OS X midi services are not available, or that I need to uninstall midi drivers. Usually end up having to power down everything starting up one item at a time,re-install MOTU drivers,factory reset MTP, turn round three times and chant Mongolian prayer. Ihink its just blind luck when it comes back up.
FW drives go missing but usually return after power cycling - and ProTools 8 frequrently tells me that my Digi003 "is in use by anther application" and quiits at start-up. (It isn't) .Or simply remains invisible.
I'm also using Logic Pro, and if I power up the computer , and use a MOTU 828 Mk II i(FW) nterface, rather than the 003, I don't get the issues. Having said that, I've also used Logic for long periods with the 003, without issues.
Thanks

Colin Orr
Old 01-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rithem View Post
Ok.. So what went wrong when the mp3 option is not on my iLok after authorizing??
I'm not quite clear on your question. What 'authorizing' are you referring to? After activating MPTK, did you log into your iLok account and download the auths for MPTK and the MP3 option to your iLok?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
Update:

I started todays session using ProTools 8 LE and 003, worked fine all day. I then exported the session as an embedded OMF. Tried to open Logic to check the file, and everything went haywire. Logic seems (since installing CPT) to have a big problem with the 003 - it claims that "Midi or Audio drivers conflict" - and simply won't run. I powered off, switched FW interface to MOTU 828 Mk II, changed nothing else, restarted, and Logic ran perfectly, opened and checked OMF without problems. So it seems that as soon as Logic is run with CPT and 003, the problems start.

Colin Orr
Colin - can you tell me exactly how you have everything connected, including any other USB or FW peripherals connected to the computer?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Colin - can you tell me exactly how you have everything connected, including any other USB or FW peripherals connected to the computer?
Yep
Two iiyama 24" Monitors. Standard DVi connection.
One MOTU MTP AV USB Midi interface V 2.01 via rear USB port, direct in.
One 7 Port Midi Hub, which contains a couple of iLoks, a USB hard disk for Time Machine, and amazingly as I've just checked, my old Logic dongle;-)
Firewire 400 front port supports 1 TB Firewire disk via a FW Enclosure rear port a Lacie 1 TB Firewire disk, which I've run in both 400 and 800 ports, as well as for both disks, turned off to see if the problem can be eliminated that way (it wasn't). I used to have about 6 FW disks chained to the bus, but I'm now down to one external at a time. Or just the internal SATA drives (I have all 4 slots in use)
Second FW 400 port on rear is used either for Digi 003 or MOTU 828 Mk II.
To summarise the problem:
It seems possible to use Digi 003 with ProTools 8LE, but even from cold start, I will get "No Digi Hardware found, or in use by another programme". Usually powering down the 003 at least once, sometimes twice, will resolve that issue. Then providing no other programmes are running (I've followed the troubleshooting tips on Airport/Bluetooth/FW Network etc), I seem to be able to run OK.
However, if I then close ProTools, and open Logic, Logic will report a conflict of midi or audio drivers, and tell me that Mac OS X Midi services cannot run (I also have Digital Performer on the computer, v 6.01, which just crashes when I try to run after Pro Tools). Various resets, restarts, don't solve this.
If I power off, unplug 003, restart with 828 plugged in, both Logic Pro and Digital Performer run happily and snappily.
I was using the 003 with Logic reasonably happily until the upgrade to PT 8 and the CPT.
Thanks for your quick responses. The BBC will be eternally grateful ;-)

Colin Orr
Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 PM

I just bought MPTK2 upgrade today, and while I'm still downloading as I type, will I have a problem with ilok when I update my licences and do the upgrade later tonight?

Or, has the ilok issue been resolved with all new purchases?

Maybe I should wait before doing the install?

Any advice?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not quite clear on your question. What 'authorizing' are you referring to? After activating MPTK, did you log into your iLok account and download the auths for MPTK and the MP3 option to your iLok?
Yes, after authorizing i logged into iLok.com.
I had 4 new licences.

Eleven LE
Structure LE
StructureContent LE
And
Music Production Toolkit

Nothing more..
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Avid

Quote:
Yep
Two iiyama 24" Monitors. Standard DVi connection.
One MOTU MTP AV USB Midi interface V 2.01 via rear USB port, direct in.
One 7 Port Midi Hub, which contains a couple of iLoks, a USB hard disk for Time Machine, and amazingly as I've just checked, my old Logic dongle;-)
Firewire 400 front port supports 1 TB Firewire disk via a FW Enclosure rear port a Lacie 1 TB Firewire disk, which I've run in both 400 and 800 ports, as well as for both disks, turned off to see if the problem can be eliminated that way (it wasn't). I used to have about 6 FW disks chained to the bus, but I'm now down to one external at a time. Or just the internal SATA drives (I have all 4 slots in use)
Second FW 400 port on rear is used either for Digi 003 or MOTU 828 Mk II.
To summarise the problem:
It seems possible to use Digi 003 with ProTools 8LE, but even from cold start, I will get "No Digi Hardware found, or in use by another programme". Usually powering down the 003 at least once, sometimes twice, will resolve that issue. Then providing no other programmes are running (I've followed the troubleshooting tips on Airport/Bluetooth/FW Network etc), I seem to be able to run OK.
However, if I then close ProTools, and open Logic, Logic will report a conflict of midi or audio drivers, and tell me that Mac OS X Midi services cannot run (I also have Digital Performer on the computer, v 6.01, which just crashes when I try to run after Pro Tools). Various resets, restarts, don't solve this.
If I power off, unplug 003, restart with 828 plugged in, both Logic Pro and Digital Performer run happily and snappily.
I was using the 003 with Logic reasonably happily until the upgrade to PT 8 and the CPT.
Thanks for your quick responses. The BBC will be eternally grateful ;-)

Colin Orr

Colin - Please try this:

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and let me know if it's working or not.

Also - do you use Core Audio with the 003? If not (or just for testing purposes) try removing the Digi Core Audio driver from the folder at MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>HAL and let me know if that helps at all.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just bought MPTK2 upgrade today, and while I'm still downloading as I type, will I have a problem with ilok when I update my licences and do the upgrade later tonight?

Or, has the ilok issue been resolved with all new purchases?

Maybe I should wait before doing the install?

Any advice?
It's been resolved - you should not encounter any problems.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rithem View Post
Yes, after authorizing i logged into iLok.com.
I had 4 new licences.

Eleven LE
Structure LE
StructureContent LE
And
Music Production Toolkit

Nothing more..
Where did you purchase this? The older versions of these bundles had a separate authorization card, which is likely what you have - look through the cards that came in the box and you should see one with a code for the MP3 codec.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Where did you purchase this? The older versions of these bundles had a separate authorization card, which is likely what you have - look through the cards that came in the box and you should see one with a code for the MP3 codec.
As a Digistore Download..