Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 05-18-2022, 09:20 AM

Default Syncing Pro Tools Carbon to external timecode

I still have a HDX rig that works with Sync HD but really want to use my Carbon for mobile gigs. What are the best options to slave ProTools to external timecode provided by the video crew?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Syncing Pro Tools Carbon to external timecode

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
I still have a HDX rig that works with Sync HD but really want to use my Carbon for mobile gigs. What are the best options to slave ProTools to external timecode provided by the video crew?
Lockstep from Figure 53 is the best LTC to MTC translator I've found (better than the really unreliable one from Source Connect.) Bonus is it's free
https://figure53.github.io/studio/

So you point to an audio input on your system that is getting LTC coming from the vid crew (this has to be an additional audio interface not being used by Pro Tools -- could be even system input) and then redirect the MIDI timecode Lockstep generates to any MIDI port or IAC MIDI (software MIDI built into macOS.) Then set Pro Tools to listen to that MIDI port for MTC.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Syncing Pro Tools Carbon to external timecode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Lockstep from Figure 53 is the best LTC to MTC translator I've found (better than the really unreliable one from Source Connect.) Bonus is it's free
https://figure53.github.io/studio/

So you point to an audio input on your system that is getting LTC coming from the vid crew (this has to be an additional audio interface not being used by Pro Tools -- could be even system input) and then redirect the MIDI timecode Lockstep generates to any MIDI port or IAC MIDI (software MIDI built into macOS.) Then set Pro Tools to listen to that MIDI port for MTC.
fantastic, thank you so much, I will check it out!