How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-09-2021, 05:35 AM

Default PT 2021.10 on windows10 21H2

Hi all !

Anyone running PT 2021.10 on windows 21H2

I'm on 21H1 and hesitate to update to 21H2. Will it work. I know it is not officially supported by Avid.

/T
Old 12-09-2021, 08:01 AM

Default Re: PT 2021.10 on windows10 21H2

I try all updates, but I also always(as in ALWAYS) have a backup plan. Here are 2 options(and you should be using at least one of them)
#1-Use drive imaging software to save an image of your C: drive before installing ANY update(Windows, Pro Tools or anything else).
#2-Get another drive that is the same(more or less) as your current C: drive. Clone your C: drive to this second drive. When the clone process is complete, remove your old C: drive and install the fresh clone.

Imaging allows you to restore your C: drive back to a previous state(like before installing 21H2). You can save images to most any drive(I save mine to a 4TB USB drive). Cloning allows you to always have a backup C: drive that is ready to go into service(handy if an update goes sour, or you get some trojan/virus/malware). Software for this includes Macrium Reflect(they have a free version), Backupper(free or pay for Backupper Pro) and Acronis True Image(not free but very good). I have 3 C: drives here. 1 is the latest of everything, 2 is the previous version(PT2019.x) and 3 is a clone of drive 1

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-09-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I try all updates, but I also always(as in ALWAYS) have a backup plan. Here are 2 options(and you should be using at least one of them)
#1-Use drive imaging software to save an image of your C: drive before installing ANY update(Windows, Pro Tools or anything else).
#2-Get another drive that is the same(more or less) as your current C: drive. Clone your C: drive to this second drive. When the clone process is complete, remove your old C: drive and install the fresh clone.

Imaging allows you to restore your C: drive back to a previous state(like before installing 21H2). You can save images to most any drive(I save mine to a 4TB USB drive). Cloning allows you to always have a backup C: drive that is ready to go into service(handy if an update goes sour, or you get some trojan/virus/malware). Software for this includes Macrium Reflect(they have a free version), Backupper(free or pay for Backupper Pro) and Acronis True Image(not free but very good). I have 3 C: drives here. 1 is the latest of everything, 2 is the previous version(PT2019.x) and 3 is a clone of drive 1
I do keep image backups using Macrium Reflect 8. (used free 7 before and upgraded during BF recently). Never had a reason to install an image backup, and have no experience of it. (hope it works when and if I need it, and that I dont screw it up beeing a 'seldom-to-never' task)

On your point 2 ...hmmm... yeah maybe... My question become like this:
- Is the use of the second drive frequent enough to motivate it. I mean, PC's grow old and need replacement, and windows systems kind of degrades over time. So every once in a while a total reset and re-install from scratch is needed for those reasons anyway.
- Do you connect the second drive to USB or directly to the motherboard when you make the clone on it.

And to my original question. Any experience of 21H2 witn PT 2021.10?

/Tomas
Old 12-09-2021, 11:00 AM

No issues for me and 2021.10 OR 2021.12.

And Macrium Reflect has saved me grief more than a few times. If you haven't already, be sure to turn on Image Guardian to protect your images from Ransomware.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkzzaJ View Post
... Never had a reason to install an image backup, and have no experience of it. (hope it works ...
If your PC boots but is "sick", use Macrium to restore your working image backup. Make sure you know how to do it & actually do it to prove that it works! Read the Macrium user guide for the how-to. It's easy. If you do NOT use Albee's method #2 (which is a great idea) you should at least test and make sure you can restore your backup image. Having a backup AND a restore plan lets me sleep at night.

What if PC is un-bootable? Macrium lets you create an emergency bootable rescue medium. (Since my PC has an optical drive, I made the Macrium bootable on a CD-ROM. Pretty sure you can also do it on a USB flashdrive.) Boot from the rescue medium and restore your backup image. If your boot drive is completely hosed - as in a hardware failure (rare but possible) - you can replace it with a new one, boot from the rescue medium and restore your working image to a brand new drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
No issues for me and 2021.10 OR 2021.12...
Great! Same here for 2020.5 and fully up-to-date Win10. I still haven't seen a single case of any Win10-approved ProTools version broken by any Win10 build version updates.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-09-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I still haven't seen a single case of any Win10-approved ProTools version broken by any Win10 build version updates.
Nor have I.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-10-2021, 09:08 AM

Back to the question of backups, good that you do them, but you might want to try a recovery before you NEED it As to connections, anything will work fine(direct to motherboard, USB, TB, etc). I use USB for 2 reasons: convenience, and when I used Acronis, I accidentally cloned in the wrong direction when both drives were internal(yep, I cloned a messed up drive over a perfect one). Acronis would list drives with their connection, so when I see USB, I am certain of what I am doing.

Were I in your shoes, I would use a spare drive and try a recovery to it so if the time ever comes when you need to do it, you know it works and won't be left scratching your head. Assuming your C: drive is not huge(therefor the image of it is not huge), all 3 of my system drives are 500GB SSD drives and all are set into adapter cases so they fit into a 3.5" drive cage(I can pull and swap drives easily). If you can make a successful recovery to a blank drive, then you have a backup C; drive ready to go(better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-17-2021, 07:41 AM

It worked fine when I had H2. I just moved up to Win11 and you know what...it works fine too. All that said, to avoid stress, a backup plan before you update is the best plan.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
...Win11 and you know what...it works fine too...
cool
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-11-2022, 05:49 AM

Hi again you all!

Christmas came and the thread kind of halted.

First : THANK YOU ALL for your engagement and sound advice.

My takeaway will be that I do not have a proper restore plan, only a backup plan.

As for the restore plan, for now I'll enter the USB emergency bootable rescue medium restore path. Checking into Macrium nitty-gritties...

And Albee's Albee-2 is a 2-be-or-not-2-be-4-me as of now. Like the idea and I'll come back to that one with future major HW upgrades. I can see the swapping convenience and speed of the three-SSD-in-a-cage-configuration.

And Albee - your advice
"better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
I take it when backup and restore is concerned, but I'll keep on throwing the garbage in the bin

/T