Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Default computer for hd native

Grettings, i am new to the forum and didn't see a specific area for HD native so i am posting here hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I am looking for some info on hd native latency results.

As well info on where to spend the money on a computer for best latenecy results. Is it worth getting SSD drives? Is it worth 12 procesors over 8 processors? how much memory is ideal. Do these things even effect latency.

Currently mixing in protools le with an 002 rack but looking for a solid tracking solution for a minimum of 13 ins at once, with no noticable latency, separate headphone mixes and the ability to track vocals with reverb.

I am sure these threads exsist, just cant find them, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Default Re: computer for hd native

At the top of this page, see PT Compatibility Guide.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=376771

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HD-Native

Also, see the PT manual (Reference Guide)

Others may report on actual latency, which depends on hardware and computer combination, as you know.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Re: computer for hd native

Keep in mind that whatever computer recommendations apply to HD Native would be exactly the same as for any firewire or usb native system. It's no different other than that the computer should have the PCIe slots.

So you could look at all the different computer discussions in general to see what's working.

The advice is all over the ballpark, but generally people seem to be happy with the 8 core or 6 core. Even the 4 core should work great for a lot of people, and that may be all you need depending on what you're doing.