Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Vocal Recording Help ? & Tips Advice

I'm using digi002 on Windows XP

I'm trying to us Plug'in on my Aux before it hit's the track I'm recording to. It's working, but I'm getting a Delay inside of my Headphone it's sounds slower inside of my Headphone. So I've tried. going into my Computer and enableing the DMA and etc. Any other other advice sould I know about? It only happens when I'm push the record botton on my protools. I had this problem before but the tech support had fix it. and I forgot what they did to fix it.

Here is my set-up. Aux Bus out 7-8 into Audio Track Bus 7-8 My Plug'in is on my Aux like Rcomp for vocal etc.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Vocal Recording Help ? & Tips Advice

It sounds like latency is what you are describing. I am assuming that by "it sounds slower inside of my headphones" means that there is a delay between when you sing and when you hear it, not that the delay echoes are slower than they should be.

Anyway, the only way I know of to hear it in the headphones right when you sing is to switch ProTools into "Low Latency Monitoring" mode (it's in one of the pull-down menus). I don't know if bus sends still work, but if they do, you should be all set.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Low Latency mode will not work in this case, because it disables all plug-ins on tracks that have external inputs. You can try a smaller Hardware Buffer setting. If you're using PTLE 7, it's under the Setup menu --> Playback Engine --> Hardware Buffer Size.

If latency is still too high, then the problem is most likely that your chosen comp plug-in has too much inherent latency. The only options there are to either choose a different compressor plug-in, or use an external mic pre and hardware compressor.

If you wish to know exactly how many samples and/or milliseconds of latency a given HWB setting produces, please see my web page about it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-14-2006, 04:26 PM

It's latency and you are also recording the comp plug-in to the audio track. Do you really want to do this or do you just want a comp on the headphone mix? If you record the track clean then you can add a comp plug-in later and adjust to taste. If you record the comp plug-in and you don't like the setting(s) you'll have to re-record the piece. Not ideal if the one you don't like the comp on was a great take otherwise.

I routinely record at 64 buffer and Low Latency Mode off (002 Rack) with both a Waves C1 and L2 on my headphone mix with no discernable latency.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction