Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Default UA 1176 plug in?

So I'm reletively new to plugs (i mean other than the free ones)

and a friend of mine (on TDM) just got the UA 1176 and loves it.

1) can i buy this for LE

2) how do I know what works with LE and what doesn't?

is it just a RTAS thing? if it says RTAS then it's ok?

i swear I'm not as much of a NU-B as i sound!!

thanks. -jeff
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: UA 1176 plug in?

to use ua 1176 for rtas you need a uad-1 card from ua. the standalone plug is tdm only.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 12-23-2005, 02:55 PM

now that i'm looking into it a little more...

what about this vst to rtas adaptor?
how well does it work?

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-rtasadapter-main.php

i thought that you can't use one of those dsp cards with PTLE???
Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM

The bombfactory BF76 plugin imitates the 1176 usably well. It sounds 'dirty' so it's application-specific.

The BF76, if my understanding is correct, is free for PTLE users. Check into it.

You can get the UAD-1 or PowerCore DSP 'accellerators' to work for ProTools. Both have licenses for VST->RTAS wrappers (on writing this). HOWEVER...

They are not a panacea. The wrappers default with a latency of 1024 samples. As a result, you will need to employ delay compensation on all other tracks. You could lower the delay to as little as 128 in the wrapper, but your CPU usage is going to skyrocket as it has to devote clock cycles to exporting/importing data with the DSP.

This is the dark secret with those DSPs. At those low 128sample latencies, the overhead gets so in the way that your native equivalent plugins often perform better. At higher latencies, the advantage returns but the delay is so bad (sounds like a big echo) that you are obliged to manually put compensation in. (PTLE does not do it for you) This might sound like laziness getting the best of me, but if you're tweaking with 32 tracks blazing it gets pretty dumb pretty fast.

-which is kind of interesting because when you use a digirack or other native RTAS plugin, its respective latency appears as zero.

I'm not taking sides, but it usually still pays (until further notice) to go to TDM for hardware acceleration in PT. That #(@% price tag...
G5 Dual 2.7GhZ, 1GB
PowercoreFW

OS 10.4.8
Digirack
Sampletank L 2.x
Filterfreak
Reason Adapted
Old 12-24-2005, 08:04 AM

Quote:
The bombfactory BF76 plugin imitates the 1176 usably well. It sounds 'dirty' so it's application-specific.

The BF76, if my understanding is correct, is free for PTLE users. Check into it.

You can get the UAD-1 or PowerCore DSP 'accellerators' to work for ProTools. Both have licenses for VST->RTAS wrappers (on writing this). HOWEVER...

They are not a panacea. The wrappers default with a latency of 1024 samples. As a result, you will need to employ delay compensation on all other tracks. You could lower the delay to as little as 128 in the wrapper, but your CPU usage is going to skyrocket as it has to devote clock cycles to exporting/importing data with the DSP.

This is the dark secret with those DSPs. At those low 128sample latencies, the overhead gets so in the way that your native equivalent plugins often perform better. At higher latencies, the advantage returns but the delay is so bad (sounds like a big echo) that you are obliged to manually put compensation in. (PTLE does not do it for you) This might sound like laziness getting the best of me, but if you're tweaking with 32 tracks blazing it gets pretty dumb pretty fast.

-which is kind of interesting because when you use a digirack or other native RTAS plugin, its respective latency appears as zero.

I'm not taking sides, but it usually still pays (until further notice) to g

o to TDM for hardware acceleration in PT. That #(@% price tag...

hmmm... yeah i don't think that i could get away with that, since i'm still running on a MDD powermac g4 dual 867
(which is not even supported any more)
Old 12-24-2005, 05:24 PM

The UAD-1 employs a delay compensation plugin that deals with the latency issues when mixing. You're not going to track with the UAD-1 but for mixing once you get the hang of using the delay compensation plugin it's no big deal. You can also nudge tracks (something that TDM folks used to have to do apparently). Depending on the project I've done both methods. For mastering the UAD Precision Limiter puts the Wave stuff to shame. It's amazing sounding and also has superb metering. Also when mastering, latency isn't an issue since you're working with just 2 tracks.

The UAD plugins are extremely solid sounding. For my ears it's the closest I've heard to the real hardware units. Under 6.4 I was running on a G4 533. I was able to do 16 track mixes pretty comfortably. Now I've upgraded that processor to a dual 1.8 G4. Way more headroom for rewire apps along with bigger mixes under pt7.