Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Selling pro tools. Do I have to transfer protools license also?

I am selling my Pro tools 10. It has a free upgrade to Pro tools 11. I know I have to transfer my ilok key to the buyer when I sell it and it costs $25 to do it. But what about the Pro tools 10.0 License itself?

Since I already used it(PT 10 License), will it work on the buyers computer ? I am not sure about the protocol. Is the Ilok transfer all I need to do ? Or do I have to do anything else after that?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Selling pro tools. Do I have to transfer protools license also?

Can you be more specific about what you have and what you are doing?

Because unless you are selling a software activation code that has never been registered, then there is no such thing as free upgrade to PT11, certainly not by transferring an Ilok license. You want to be careful not to mislead the potential buyer. If you are transferring a PT10 license, that's all they get. They won't get a PT11 license.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Can you be more specific about what you have and what you are doing?

Because unless you are selling a software activation code that has never been registered, then there is no such thing as free upgrade to PT11, certainly not by transferring an Ilok license. You want to be careful not to mislead the potential buyer. If you are transferring a PT10 license, that's all they get. They won't get a PT11 license.
Thanks for your answer. Here's what I am doing. I have PT10 installed on my computer. I haven't upgraded to 11.0 yet. I have an iLok 2nd gen. with just the PT license on it.

I want to sell my PT 10 . But my PT10 is student edition and it pops up everytime I open it saying you have an upgrade to 11.0 and also I got an email from AVID last year in regards to upgrade to 11.0.

Here's the content :

Thank you for your support of Avid and its products. We're pleased to let you know that you are eligible to receive Avid's new Pro Tools 11 software upgrade for Students from Pro Tools 10 or Pro Tools 9 for Students at no charge as part of a four year upgrade offer in place at the time of your purchase.

To download your free software and obtain your Pro Tools 11 for Students iLok authorization, please follow the instructions below.

You will need the following personal activation code:

Your Pro Tools 11 ACTIVATION CODE:
=========================
XXX.....
=========================

Activation and Download Instructions:

1. Copy your activation code from above and then visit the activation webpage:

https://account.avid.com/

2. If you are not already logged in to your Avid account (which is your account on the Avid website used for downloads, activations, and Avid Store purchases), you will be prompted to log in before proceeding. If you are not able to log in, you may need to create an account, even if you have previously registered a hardware product online.

3. Once logged in, click on Activate & Download Your Product and paste or enter the above ACTIVATION CODE in the designated space on the page and click on the ?Download Now? button.

4. You will then need to provide your iLok.com account I.D. THIS IS NOT PRINTED ON YOUR ILOK!!!! It is the account I.D. you used when creating an account at www.ilok.com. If you do not know this, click on the sign in link near the upper left. Then click on ?Forgot Your User I.D. or Password?. They will assist you. If you enter an incorrect ilok.com account during activation, you will be subject to a license deposit correction fee.

5. Next, fill out the registration form with your information. When you complete this form, you will be automatically registered for your Pro Tools 11 software and will be directed to the next page where your Pro Tools 11 download options will be available. You will be sent an email upon completion of the activation process.

6. Your license should now available in your ilok.com account. To retrieve your license you will need either move the license to an iLok key using the iLok Manager application or you may complete the licensing process during Pro Tools 11 installation.

7. You can return to your Pro Tools 11 downloads at any time after activation by logging into your account at: http://account.avid.com.

Click on "Your Products" in your account AFTER activation has been completed. Your downloads should be there if you have already used your activation code.

PLEASE SAVE AND PRINT THIS EMAIL WITH YOUR ACTIVATION CODE AND DOWNLOAD LOCATION FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

- About This Email -

You are receiving this support information email based on your recent product registration and the email address you provided when you registered. Avid does not send unsolicited email.

The Avid email account from which this email was sent ([email protected]) is used for send-only purposes. Please do not reply to this email address.

To get in touch with Avid Audio Support, please visit the below webpage for all contact information:
http://www.avid.com/contact

Regards,
The Avid Audio Pro Tools Software Team
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
I have PT10 installed on my computer. I haven't upgraded to 11.0 yet. I have an iLok 2nd gen. with just the PT license on it.
You will need the Pro Tools 10 license to use your free upgrade to Pro Tools 11.

Your Pro Tools 10 license will be replaced by a single "bundled" license for Pro Tools 11 and 10.

Quote:
I want to sell my PT 10.
First of all, it is a student license. It was sold to you at a discount as a verified student, not for resale. With 4 years of free upgrades to the latest versions.

Second, if you did sell it, you would no longer have Pro Tools 10 or 11, or any license you would need to exchange for any additional free upgrades in your 4 year period.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
You will need the Pro Tools 10 license to use your free upgrade to Pro Tools 11.

Your Pro Tools 10 license will be replaced by a single "bundled" license for Pro Tools 11 and 10.

What do you mean by a single bundled license? If that's the case then why did I even receive this PT 11 LICENSE email?

First of all, it is a student license. It was sold to you at a discount as a verified student, not for resale. With 4 years of free upgrades to the latest versions.

Second, if you did sell it, you would no longer have Pro Tools 10 or 11, or any license you would need to exchange for any additional free upgrades in your 4 year period.
Who said I am looking for additional free upgrade? I am looking to "SELL IT".
I know if I sell it I will no longer have PT 10 Or 11. I thought that's the whole point of selling was. What am I missing here? :\

Why are you telling me about a 4 year period? I am looking to sell this off. Why should I care about a time period?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM

Bruce is an Avid employee. He checked your account and saw you have a student version. He was trying to inform you of the limitations and options. You clearly don't understand how your licenses work.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 PM

If you sell your iLok asset you will no longer have any way to use Pfo Tools, period. You cannot upgrade to 11 without trading in your present 10 asset. The main point is that if you sell your asset you will no longer have Pro Tools of any kind. If that's fine with you then so be it.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Student licenses cannot be resold. That information is clear as day.

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 PM

And that is, now that you mention it, an undeniably important and finite part of the equation.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 PM

Hi every one.
I'm on the other side of this scenario. I have a pro tools 7 lisence on my computor/Ilok gen 1. I am trying to upgrade to 10 and have been looking on the auction sites. I see a lot of these 10/11 bundles for sale/auction with an "unregistered ilok2" and some even with unregistered software / activation card. so my question is can I legally buy these and will I be eligible to install this legally on my computor as a sole owner of this software. any information would be appreciated thank you