Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Check this(digi also)

Bad. bad, analogy, the one above -

According to the agreement you make with virtually every software company prior to first using the product, you do not "buy" software, you buy a license to use software. Ilok is a physical device design to prevent the unlawful use of unlicensed software. If an ilok is broken, that should have NO effect on your license - it should still be vaild.

Hence if an ilok needs to be replaced, it should cost no more than the cost of a new, empty, ilok. that is, i believe, $30 or so. Especially since, if the broken iLok is returned there is zero chance of fraud.

I'm sick and the growing trend for lawful software purchasers being used as collateral damage in these companies war against piracy.

On the other hand ( [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), this doesn't sound like Digi's normal way of doing things, though it may be Avid's...

Malcolm
Old 05-23-2002, 10:18 AM

agree with mpayne. The physical device was broken and needs to be repaired; the liscences were not broken and do not need to be repaired.

Having to pay for the liscences themselves is tantamount to double billing.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:35 AM

totaly agree with mpayne. i can't believe dig would charge $100 per autho because the device they chose to contain them got trashed. Keep us posted on this. I am certain digi will back down on this outreageous policy, if it is infact theirs. I must agree that it doesn't sound like them.

www.tompaul.com
Old 05-23-2002, 11:22 AM

I agree with the last point too.

I don't want an iLok, I'd rather the software worked withour copy protection but sadly just as we need keys to open our doors, so we need 'keys' to stop piracy. BUT, Digi should not charge us for copy protection, it's them that needs it to protect their code, we don't own the code so why are we paying to lock it up on their behalf??
Old 05-23-2002, 01:00 PM

I had a feeling there would be a more reasonable policy - thanks for outlining it.

Malcolm
Old 05-23-2002, 02:45 PM

I have to say it amazes me how some of us get so angry at Digi I wonder why that is after all Digi has a very good policy of supporting their customers ok Digi is priced at the higher end of the market but now they offer much cheaper and better solutions for the lower end of the market. Now for the ilok scenario putting your ilok key at the keyboard end is asking for trouble its much better at the back of the mac or on a hub. However there must be some levy for losing authorisations after say you lose it once anyone who keeps on losing authorisations deserves to pay a premium for such carelessness surely. Howvere faulty iloks should get the authorisations free of charge.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:12 PM

I know that the keyboard is not the best place
for the ilok!!That this is another story.There is no logical explanation to pay 700$ when you already have paid as a registered user.I think that 100$ is a reasonable amount of money.Andy and
Soggy i don't expect from Digi to send me for free an Ilok,but to pay for authorization it really makes me upset!I've already email to Digi
in order to send me one for 100$.
Thanks for the support!!
Old 05-23-2002, 04:47 PM

That is why professional people call the company to find out the policy instead of listening to rumors (or starting them). Everybody is always so quick to lash out based on half truths.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:02 PM

Oh, is that what they do? I always wondered what they did...
Old 05-23-2002, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Hold on a second before you all start packing up your systems and start marching towards Digi with pitchforks and torches.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damn, I've been dying to light up my new torch...guess I'll have to wait. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]