Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Lost WAV files???

I am recording on Pro Tools 8 with a 002 rack. I seem to have lost a couple of my WAV files. They don't appear in the Audio Files folder of the Sessions Folder. This is what I did... I created a folder and began recording one of my band's songs. After a few days of recording, I decided to change the Session Folder name because the name of the song changed. Pro Tools automatically saves the session when the program is closed. So now I have two folders... The "original" name and the "new" name. I deleted the "original" name. Without realizing that I might have gotten rid of some of the "original" Audio Files. I do realize this was a dumb mistake. So when I opened up "new" folder. Everything was still there in Pro Tools and actually played perfectly, but when I went to look in my Audio Files folder, some were missing. Is there anything I can do to get the WAV files back into the Audio Files folder? I tried to consolidate the files that were missing and renamed the folder back to it's original name and still no WAV files appear in the Audio Files folder. Please see the attached link, which show photos to understand better what I am talking about. You can see that the snare_01 track is still in Pro Tools but it doesn't exist in the Audio Files folder. What can I do to get those WAV files back? I need to send them out to be mixed and mastered.
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9358/00protools.jpg
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Lost WAV files???

obviously Pro tools is putting your audio files somewhere else. use the pull down menu for settings, choose disk allocation and see where pro tools is putting the audio files. You can also do a search for Snare01 file and see where it is. when you find it , you will probably also find more audio files. also you can go into pro tools ,

I would rename the files in the session to pertain to that track. If the song name is Bad girl,, then name the file Badgirlsnare01.

Do that for all the sound files in the session. Probably all your audio files will be mixed together somewhere and if you move them all, other sessions will not be able to find the audio files they need.

I created a Master file called Master. within that file is all my session ptf files, (plus plugin settings folder, rendered files folder, session file backups folder,) and a folder named audio files. within that audio files folder are my folders for each session song. Each sessions song folder holds the audio files for that session. keeping track of your session files and audio files make it easy to back up.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Lost WAV files???

Have you tried searching your HD? If the file plays then it must be SOMEWHERE on your HD. Just do a search from your Finder for that file name...