Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2000, 09:06 AM

Default The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op is open!

Some here have expressed an interest in having a site where Protools users can share plugin setting preset files. Over the last month, I have found time to write a system for this purpose. The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op is now up and running at my new site:
http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

Since it's new, the archive is, of course, empty (with the exception of one Mac TDM PitchBlender preset I put up there to break the site in). Hopefully some of you can help change that!

Let me know what you think!

Tom Dexter

Old 09-22-2000, 11:53 AM

Default Re: The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op is open!

very, very cool. i visited your site, and registered. i will upload some of my favorite presets later next week, when i have time. i have 4 gigs (NOT "GIGABYTE"-ACTUAL WORK!!!) starting in a few hours so i am very busy.

good job, tom.
Old 09-22-2000, 02:10 PM

oops! i uploaded a few presets before i noticed the 'binhexed on mac' requirment. my files are not binhexed- i didn't see that requirement. let me know if you need me to
re-upload them in binhex format. i have a whole bunch more.

(maybe you should make that requirment bigger)

you email link does not appear to be working (yet)

also, i am wondering if it may be better to sort the presets by where protools actually stores them- what i mean is- instead of having a seperate folder for digirack compressor II, digirack limiter II, gate, etc. do it like protools and put them all in the 'dynamics' folder. i don't have my presets named to include what function the serve- they are titled like "slow vox" or "hot" but do not include whether they are a gate, comp, or lim. i got confused remembering where they all went. same with the digirack delay folder, there is only one.

i am not complaining by any means- i think your site is a wonderful idea for all of us. it's going to take me a while to actually apply names to my presets that mean something to other people. only I know what "mike dirty vox 7" sounds like.

also, i was wondering, since the presets seem to be only about 1-2k, if it's worth binhexing them. 2k only takes about a blink to upload and even less to download. if it's for storage requirments, well lets hope we get that many presets up! it looks like 1 meg could hold about 500 presets! i'm sure virus presets and such are much bigger though.

one more thought:

i guess i don't understand the search function you implemented. i would rather just see a list of all available presets for the plug in i selected.

again. NOT COMPLAINING! just a few suggestions.

good luck on the site!

-Coaster
Old 09-22-2000, 05:15 PM

Hi coaster,

I emailed you, but I'll post here in case you didn't get it yet. My email there should be working [email protected]...I'll make sure the link is right.

On the BinHex issue, here's the story. The preset files for the mac won't be recognized without the resource fork. If they are moved to the unix web server, they loose the resource fork and are unusable. That's the reason for BinHexing them, not the size. BinHex and MacBinary formats pack the resource fork and data fork into one file so it can be recovered when decoded on the Mac. I had to remove those, as they would not work after download.

I see your point about having one folder for digirack stuff and the like. I forgot that they're grouped that way. I'll see if I get some feedback on that one. I'm not certain whether or not it's better to have them categorized as to what they are or not. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. I can always write something to combine them later if I go that way.

On selecting all presets for a plugin, or for several plugins, select the plugin(s) in the list, select the platforms and types you want (you can click and drag to select all of them), and just leave all the search stuff (description, user, file) blank, adn leave the date set to (all)....that'll get everything for the seleted plug(s), from newest to oldest.

Let me know if you have questions. If you can't get my email on the site to work, use [email protected].

Thanks again for the feedback!
Tom

PS: On the file sizes...yea they're pretty small...and I have 350 Megs to fill there

[This message has been edited by tld (edited September 22, 2000).]
Old 09-22-2000, 05:44 PM

Oh...and that note to Mac users about BinHex on the upload page was pretty hard to notice....I just made it much more visible

Tom

By the way...I tried the email link and it seems to work fine, as long as you're browser is set up for email links...let me know if you still have a problem.

Old 09-23-2000, 12:06 AM

Thanks coaster (co-op member #2)! I appreciate the feedback and any presets you contribute!

For a second I thought you were going to say you had 4 gigs of presets...I would've been REALLY impressed ....and would have been glad to get more space and achive them...

Hope the site gets good use.

Tom

Old 09-23-2000, 10:02 AM

tld, great, u did a very good job on this!!!

so now we got to u/l some good stuff. i xwill go thru my presets anytime soon now.

thank you.
Old 09-23-2000, 10:36 AM

Thanks plenky! I appreciate anything you contribute. Twelve people have actaully registered so far...over 200 visits to the site though. I think once someone starts uploading, others will follow. I'll try to upload some more of mine when I get time. I got kinda behind on other things coding all that CGI

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 09-23-2000, 09:52 PM

tom,
great site! great job! going to be a great service to us all.

thank you
Old 09-24-2000, 09:19 AM

Thank you much chicagobob. I enjoyed putting it together. I hope it gets good use. The uploads are a little slow in coming but it'll get there. Enjoy.

Tom