Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Modding an MBox?

Hey all,

Are there any services out there that can mod an MBox to USB2 specs? I have both a Digi 002R and an MBox. The Digi 002R is hooked up to my G5 & getting plenty of use. But my MBox is cast aside due to slower performance levels. USB 1.1 simply doesn't cut it. It's currently connected to my older Dell PC. But I never use it. I'd find time to make use of it more if it were a smidge quicker. Not on my Dell, but maybe on a new mini-Mac or TiBook.

I know that modding a piece of Digi equipment a.) voids the warranty b.) voids support c.) requires firmware revisions & d.) required Pro Tools support.

But I just wanted to see if anyone has a contact/website for some company that may do that.

Cheers!

K
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 01-25-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Modding an MBox?

The Mbox does get a bad rep by many people, though I do know some folks who are making the best out of it, no problems, crashes, interrupts, etc.

Quote:
I'd find time to make use of it more if it were a smidge quicker. Not on my Dell, but maybe on a new mini-Mac or TiBook.
Perhaps you might try it on something other than your Dell. I wouldn't waste time on trying to find mod option on it, keep using the 002R until Digi releases a new FW interface.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:03 PM

I know that USB2 wasn't widely introduced by the time the MBox came out. So I can understand why Digi may have gone that route. But c'mon?!? 12Mbps for audio? The only thing my MBox is really good for right now is either a door stop (those tabs at the bottom of the I/O really hug the door nicely) or as a glorified iLok to open up Pro Tools.

I just want it to be more practical. USB2 with a blazing 480Mbps is what I'm talking about! It just works better for audio.

I was interested in Mods because there's companies that do it for iPods, XBoxs, etc. I thought someone may have cracked the code to make the MBox a little more appealing. Oh well.
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 01-25-2005, 04:56 PM

We've had this discussion before until someone pointed out that it illegal (expressly forbidden) to modify the MBox as it is plainly stated in the EULA (End Users License Agreement).
Old 01-25-2005, 05:15 PM

I hate how unreliable by MBox is with my 17" Powerbook. Ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
USB2 with a blazing 480Mbps is what I'm talking about!
yeah, if only it would go that fast. tests have shown that firewire 400 is still better than USB 2.0 in speed and throughput, especially for audio or anything that requires sustained read/write.

Even if USB 2.0 ran at the same speed as FireWire, it has two big disadvantages:
1. You can't boot from USB 2.0 drives
2. USB devices have to share the bandwidth and slower devices pull down the speed of faster ones.

(from barefeats.com )
Old 01-25-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
... 2. USB devices have to share the bandwidth and slower devices pull down the speed of faster ones...
Does that mean a USB mouse on a notebook can hinder MBox's ability to record 2 tracks?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 AM

Quote:
We've had this discussion before until someone pointed out that it illegal (expressly forbidden) to modify the MBox as it is plainly stated in the EULA (End Users License Agreement).

You could do anything you want to your mBox. Its is owned, not licensed like the software. You can turn it into a toaster oven if you want ( you will void the warranty). There is no provision for a company to prevent you from doing what you want to what you own. Like modding a car with a spoiler or changing the PSU in a computer.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-26-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You could do anything you want to your mBox. Its is owned, not licensed like the software. You can turn it into a toaster oven if you want ( you will void the warranty). There is no provision for a company to prevent you from doing what you want to what you own. Like modding a car with a spoiler or changing the PSU in a computer.
That's what I thought. I didn't think that I "rented" my M-Box indefinately.
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. No Reverse Engineering and Other Restrictions. You agree that you will not . . . reverse engineer, disassemble, compile, modify, translate, investigate or otherwise study the Product (including, but not limited to any software, firmware, hardware components or circuits ) in whole or in part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thread Link