Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Re: How to make your 001 sound clearer and crisper for $5.00!!

BIG kudos to Etymotics for ALL of their products. They make the absolute best sounding in-ears. I recoomend that everyone who has to record and perform in the same room n(no control room) get a pair. The absolute best most flat sounding headphones available. (and they cut out nearly all of the ambient noise - very key when trying to hear drum tones while moving mics.......) AND you can take them on a plane and actually hear your cd player. Add a pair of cheap omnis and a small mixer, take 'em to a gig - turn the whole band down when it gets damaging to your ears. I don't even bother with running monitor mix anymore. I just use 2 mics and have a 4-way splitter - one for organ, one for voice. put the 3 on separate channels on a mixer with reverb - sounds like a million bucks. and...I can mix the next day!
Old 01-09-2003, 11:37 AM

Wow you guys really have me wanting a pair of these. Would you guys say that I would be able to mix with these? I need a good pair of headphones or something that I can use at night when I need to be quiet.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:15 PM

So let me get this straight... We use our car radios, our in home stereos, our reference monitors, our reference headphons, and even our TVs to listen to how our music sounds in many different applications. Does this mean we now need to pack our ears with varying amounts of ear wax to hear how our music sounds with different sets of ears? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 02:41 PM

I am one of the unfortunate ones as well that produces excessive ear wax. The key is regular cleaning. The warm water flush at the doctor is the best way. There is a company that sells an ear flusher like the ones used at the doctor. I've thought of getting one of the those. The problem with the bulb syringe that comes in a debrox kit is that it doesn't give you the amount of pressure and a very consistent rate of flushing the water into your ear like the syringe does. Also if you swim or in my case scuba dive a lot you are more prone to ear infections from water being trapped in your ear. A good preventative for that is over the counter swimmers ear drops to dry up the water.
As far as earplugs go I went to an audiologist and got the custom molded musician earplugs with the replaceable 25 db reducers. They work great and are the best $130 I spent.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:02 PM

Personally I only let a professional ENT(ear, nose and throat) doctor clean my ears. The risk fo serious infection from home remedy cleaning is not aone I choose to take.

I see an ENT 4x a year for cleaning and testing, and it's worth every penny.

Hope this is helpful.