Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 PM

Default Pro Tools 10.3.10 not working on Windows 8.1

Every time I finally get this program to work, the next time I start my computer I have problems with it again.

I just reloaded PT 10.3.9, uninstalled it, and loaded 10.3.10. Still no sound. At least I can see the levels showing sound is being made, but it sure isn't coming out. And? PT 11 was working, but now I just get white noise instead of the piano that should be coming out. I am taking a class that uses Pro Tools 8 or I would chuck the whole thing.

I am running on a Windows 8.1 machine. Not much choice. The old one died and 7 or 8 wasn't an option. It does have plenty of RAM and an i7 processor. I have Asio4All installed.

And it was working until stupid Windows overrode my don't update options. I backed out of options until it was working again, but now it isn't. I hate this program with a passion. I even broke down and bought Cubebase.

Is there a way to make Pro Tools work consistently besides buying a Mac. Shutting down the computer should not cause the program not to work, but I can't figure out what else causes it to work and then not work.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools never works

It's not supposed to work.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 AM

This is true. And also probably why I don't have the same issues with 11. However, this has been a continuing issue for me. Never mind the version or OS. Half the time I try to use it, I spend my limited music making time stopping myself from throwing the computer across the room. It is extremely frustrating to work with PT.

It even crashes Macs for me. And there is no ctrl/alt/del on a Mac. The problem is that when PT works? It is wonderful.

Thanks. I think I will move this over to the Windows board as it seems to be less of a PT 10 discussion than a Windows discussion.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 AM

Why didn't you read the compatibility charts before buying? I didn't and had to switch back to Windows 7, theres no other way around.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizziF View Post
It even crashes Macs for me. And there is no ctrl/alt/del on a Mac.
Do you mean force quit application?
On mac it's option-command-escape.
Quote:
The problem is that when PT works? It is wonderful.
That's the problem?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools never works (PT10 on Windows 8.1)

Quote:
Every time I finally get this program to work, the next time I start my computer I have problems with it again.

I just reloaded PT 10.3.9, uninstalled it, and loaded 10.3.10. Still no sound. At least I can see the levels showing sound is being made, but it sure isn't coming out. And? PT 11 was working, but now I just get white noise instead of the piano that should be coming out. I am taking a class that uses Pro Tools 8 or I would chuck the whole thing.

I am running on a Windows 8.1 machine. Not much choice. The old one died and 7 or 8 wasn't an option. It does have plenty of RAM and an i7 processor. I have Asio4All installed.

And it was working until stupid Windows overrode my don't update options. I backed out of options until it was working again, but now it isn't. I hate this program with a passion. I even broke down and bought Cubebase.

Is there a way to make Pro Tools work consistently besides buying a Mac. Shutting down the computer should not cause the program not to work, but I can't figure out what else causes it to work and then not work.

Thanks
Have you double-checked your routing in Pro Tools from the menu: Setup -> I/O -> Output? Also, in the Asio4All control panel, is your sound card properly selected in the device list? As an aside, I will add that using Asio4All should be your very last resort. It's fairly common to see it on laptops, but Pro Tools 10 can be kind of flaky when using it because it's just a generic audio driver. If possible, I would consider getting a dedicated USB2 or USB3 audio device that has its own ASIO driver since you'll get much better stability and lower latency results than with Asio4All. A good starting point would be Focusrite or PreSonus as they make some very affordable devices with solid driver support.

As already mentioned, you're probably experiencing some unexpected results of PT10 not being fully compatible with Win8.1. If you're losing some settings on startup, then trashing your Pro Tools preferences could help. It's possible that the file got corrupted somehow. Anyway, if that doesn't help and you're still up for some more troubleshooting, then you might want to consider going the other direction and trying some earlier versions of PT10. I don't remember off-hand, but I think people generally had good results when using v10.3.2 or v10.3.4. I think v10.3.4 was the most stable version I've ever experienced on Win7. I'm currently using PTHD v10.3.9 and if it weren't for the inconvenience, I'd probably roll back to v10.3.4 myself.

Another thing to consider when installing PT10 on Win8.1, try running the installer in compatibility mode for Windows 7. I think if you right-click on the installer, go to "Properties" and then the "Compatibility" tab. There should be a checkbox that accesses a dropdown menu for the previous versions of Windows that you want to emulate when running the installer. (Be sure to "Apply" those settings.) Finally, before running the installer, right-click on it and select the option to run it as an "Administrator". I'm not sure if this will make a difference with PT10 on Win8.1, but anything's worth a try at this point.

If all else fails, a cheaper option to switching computer platforms would be to give PT12 a test drive. However, since you've already invested in Cubase that's not a bad choice either if you're comfortable with it.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Why didn't you read the compatibility charts before buying? I didn't and had to switch back to Windows 7, theres no other way around.
Because all my other music programs have no problems at all with my computer. And I have a lot of them.

Also, they were both running with no problems on my other Windows 8 computer. I will look into getting 7 on this computer. I actually looked at Macs. Then checked the compatibility charts. I can't buy a Mac for this thing. I really think Avid doesn't actually want people to use their products.

And? I turned on the computer last night and 11 is now working fine. It's like there's a line in the program that says every third time you use me, cause an error. But vary them. Make it interesting.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Do you mean force quit application?
On mac it's option-command-escape.

That's the problem?
Thank you! I will have to write that down. :)

It's a problem because if the program weren't so good it would be a lot easier to just dump it.

There are a lot of other programs out there which are almost as good and have less problems. And don't get me started on Reason. That program runs on everything I've put it on. It is beautiful. But it also doesn't allow for external plug-ins. So as a DAW? Not so great. :)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbil View Post
Have you double-checked your routing in Pro Tools from the menu: Setup -> I/O -> Output? Also, in the Asio4All control panel, is your sound card properly selected in the device list? As an aside, I will add that using Asio4All should be your very last resort. It's fairly common to see it on laptops, but Pro Tools 10 can be kind of flaky when using it because it's just a generic audio driver. If possible, I would consider getting a dedicated USB2 or USB3 audio device that has its own ASIO driver since you'll get much better stability and lower latency results than with Asio4All. A good starting point would be Focusrite or PreSonus as they make some very affordable devices with solid driver support.

As already mentioned, you're probably experiencing some unexpected results of PT10 not being fully compatible with Win8.1. If you're losing some settings on startup, then trashing your Pro Tools preferences could help. It's possible that the file got corrupted somehow. Anyway, if that doesn't help and you're still up for some more troubleshooting, then you might want to consider going the other direction and trying some earlier versions of PT10. I don't remember off-hand, but I think people generally had good results when using v10.3.2 or v10.3.4. I think v10.3.4 was the most stable version I've ever experienced on Win7. I'm currently using PTHD v10.3.9 and if it weren't for the inconvenience, I'd probably roll back to v10.3.4 myself.

Another thing to consider when installing PT10 on Win8.1, try running the installer in compatibility mode for Windows 7. I think if you right-click on the installer, go to "Properties" and then the "Compatibility" tab. There should be a checkbox that accesses a dropdown menu for the previous versions of Windows that you want to emulate when running the installer. (Be sure to "Apply" those settings.) Finally, before running the installer, right-click on it and select the option to run it as an "Administrator". I'm not sure if this will make a difference with PT10 on Win8.1, but anything's worth a try at this point.

If all else fails, a cheaper option to switching computer platforms would be to give PT12 a test drive. However, since you've already invested in Cubase that's not a bad choice either if you're comfortable with it.

Good luck!
I somehow misplaced my mbox2 micro, but I do have a small Focusrite Scarlett at home. I'm just on the road for work and thought I could work on my assignment. That has to be compatible with PT LE 8. Hence using the 32 bit PT10. PT 11 works fine. I'm just concerned the AAX plug-ins won't transfer. And since I am using virtual instruments. ..

I really need to make a reminder sheet for loading these programs. What you are saying sounds very familiar as if I have done it that way before. Which is probably how I got it working on my other computer.

The other problem with being on the road is that my hard drive with all the old installers is athe home. Hopefully I didn't dump them. Because Avid doesn't go back that far in my products line.

Thanks so much. I will give it a try. And I might have better luck spending my money on buying Windows 7. Though I have until December to decide whether to do the 12 upgrade or I lose it I believe.

As far as Cubase goes? Cubase is a really great program. I think. Unfortunately, there is a lack of instruction guides available. As in none. And the manual that comes with it? Pretty useless. They do have a lot of YouTube videos though, that I am slowly going through. :P
Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I somehow misplaced my mbox2 micro, but I do have a small Focusrite Scarlett at home. I'm just on the road for work and thought I could work on my assignment. That has to be compatible with PT LE 8. Hence using the 32 bit PT10. PT 11 works fine. I'm just concerned the AAX plug-ins won't transfer. And since I am using virtual instruments. ..

I really need to make a reminder sheet for loading these programs. What you are saying sounds very familiar as if I have done it that way before. Which is probably how I got it working on my other computer.

The other problem with being on the road is that my hard drive with all the old installers is athe home. Hopefully I didn't dump them. Because Avid doesn't go back that far in my products line.

Thanks so much. I will give it a try. And I might have better luck spending my money on buying Windows 7. Though I have until December to decide whether to do the 12 upgrade or I lose it I believe.

As far as Cubase goes? Cubase is a really great program. I think. Unfortunately, there is a lack of instruction guides available. As in none. And the manual that comes with it? Pretty useless. They do have a lot of YouTube videos though, that I am slowly going through. :P

Yep, I can understand how Asio4All would be perfect for what you describe. Makes perfect sense! However, I do find it curious as to why your class hasn't yet transitioned to a modern version of Pro Tools.

I think Avid still maintains links to the older versions of PT10 on their support site. If you don't see a particular version in your account, then definitely take a look there.

If you decide not to upgrade your PT10 to PT12 by the end of this year, then you won't lose the ability to upgrade later. However, you will pay more if you wait. The upgrade for PT10 is $199 for this year. In 2016, that cost will jump to $299. Also, if you upgrade your PT10 license by the end of this month (Sep. 30th), Avid will throw in a perpetual Eleven plugin license at no additional cost. Even if you don't play the guitar, you'll probably discover many unconventional uses for it.

Anyway, Windows 7 is roughly $99 - $199 depending on the version you get. If you're using your computer for more than just music, then I would definitely recommend the PT12 upgrade over purchasing Windows 7. Since you currently have Win8.1, you're already entitled to the Windows 10 upgrade. By going back to Win7 you might miss out on some new function, capability or app that's only available in the latest version of Windows. (Forgive me if I sound like a pitchman for Avid, but I'm not. Honest!)

When you become more familiar with Cubase, you'll probably find that it excels in areas where Pro Tools doesn't and vice-versa. Cubase has a fantastic MIDI implementation, and as a composer, it's something that you can appreciate right away. Now switch to the audio side of things and Pro Tools' workflow beats Cubase hands down. Personally, I find PT to be the most intuitive DAW out there and this is probably the same reason why you find it so difficult to leave as well. (Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud.)