Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 AM

Default System freezes when using Komplete 7 and/or Maschine as a plug-in with Pro Tools

Hi All,

I've tried searching for an answer to my problem to no avail. If this is a re-post to a problem that has already been solved please point me in the right direction.

THE PROBLEM:

When I use Native Instrument's Komplete 7 and/or Maschine as a plug-in in Pro Tools it causes my system to freeze. I hear my processor fan speed up and steadily increase in speed. I always have to cut the power to the system because I fear it might burn out my processor if I just waited to see what happens. The longest I've waited to see what happen has been about 20-30 seconds. The system fully locks up. I am able to do nothing.

This has happened in a session with only one Native Instrument virtual instrument plug-in being on one aux track.

I have made sure I had all the latest drivers and updates for my Pro Tools system and Native Instrument bundles and hardware.

My system is as follows.

Dell Inc.
Studio XPS 9100
12.0 GB RAM
6 processor cores
Windows 7 64-bit operating system

Display adapter type: ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
Total available graphics memory 4083 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3059 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.791.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

Pro Tools LE 8.0.4cs2
MBox 2 mini

I also have a thread over on the NI forums and will be contacting NI support directly but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask on the DUC users in the mean time. Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I had to move this to the correct forum. Some might notice this as a re-post.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Re: System freezes when using Komplete 7 and/or Maschine as a plug-in with Pro Tools

I do not know why? But I stopped using Native Instuments Plug-Ins over a year ago, there was a Thread about 2 weeks ago about this and if I remember right it is a AVID Pro Tools problem and they are working on it. real bummer because I want to buy Komplete 7 and Alecia's Keys but have been waiting for the problems to be fixed. Search "Kore Player" and you will find more information.

Main:
Model: Dell 5750 Precision Workstation
CPU:*Intel Core Processor i7-10750H (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 2.60 GHz to 5.00 GHz,
Memory:64GB, 2X32GB,DDR4 2933Mhz Non-ECC
OS M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe, Record Intel 1TB SSD, 2T SSD, 1TB SSD
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen
AVID Pro Tools 2023.12
JBL LSR4328P 8"
JBL LSR310S 10 inch Powered Studio Subwoofer*
Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Alesis Elevate 3 Studio Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Default Re: System freezes when using Komplete 7 and/or Maschine as a plug-in with Pro Tools

Well I feel your pain - been going through months of pain with ProTools and NI Komplete 6, mostly from Kore (and on a very powerful system). I have learned some lessions to use the 2 together.

If you put up the system resource window and watch the CPU usage - it can tell you if you are about to have computer lockups. (none of this happened for me until the updates above 8.0.1 and the Komplete and kore updates last fall)

While watching the CPU usage it can go from 15% (with 10-20 plugins from Avid) to 40-80% with one or two instances of Kore - depending upon what Kore is using to make the sounds, some of Kore patches in the FX area can overwelm the CPU when they pull from GR4 and Reactor together.

So this is what I see:

Massive, Absynth and FM8 RTAS is easy on CPU.

Newer Kontakt RTAS is OK on CPU.

Guitar Rig and Reaktor RTAS can be easy or really hard on the cpu depending upon how many modules it is pulling up. If you use the FINGER module in Reactor you can watch the CPU jump 20% more with each MIDI key press (not that you would want to use it that way).

Some of the newer Kore effects packs can be heavy on CPU.

I have had to work with plugins disabled on other tracks while working with NI products - then bounce the tracks to audio - then disable the plugin track after use. 30 instrument tracks recorded from plugins that are bounced to audio tracks results (for me) to the CPU going from 30-80% usage down to 15% and the disk activity going from 1% up to 8%

Now I know you have Komplete 7 and Machine - which has lots more than Komplete 6 - just take the time to find out what part of them you can use (until someone at AVID and NI figure it out) - get out your system resources window and take a look at each one of the plugins you are using one at a time and look for the CPU destroyers.

Also I have found after using a session with NI plugins I don't just close a session and pull up another song - I get completly out of PT and double click on the new song I want to work with next. This helps out somehow, works really well on older songs not open in a while too.

If you have had a lot of crashes/freezes you will have to delete the prefs and set things up new again when PT opens, I am becoming a prefs expert after the last few months of crashes (not something to brag about after a year of NO problems).

Good luck "tfa" - and keep calling these problems in!!!!

Themaltake Spedo Advance, Win 7 32bit Pro, ASUS EVO, I-7 860, 3 WD Blacks, Kingston HyperX KHX2000, ASUS EAH4350 Silent, Pro Tools LE 8.0.4cs2 and now PT 10 on Win 7 64bit, I-7 and I-3
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM

justus1900, thanks for the lead. My next stop will be tracking down that "Kore Player" thread. At least I have an idea of it being more of a Pro Tools problem and not a NI problem. But then again, if NI didn't build their product to work well with PT or PT LE in my case then whose really to blame. If I figure out that PT LE is legitimately the problem at least I can move my NI work to another DAW. It would suck but you got to do what you got to do.

Clifford, Drumming for 720 hours! Friggin' unbelievable.

This problem has been real touch and go. You are totally right on about closing out the session completely. I've been trying that for the last day or so and although I do hear my CPU fan speed up (which causes my heart to drop) each time I've been able to continue working.

For whatever reason the combination of Kore player, and Maschine can have inconsistent and unfavorable result from time to time.

Stay tuned.....
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM

did you set your processors in Pro Tools to an odd number? usually 1 less than the total # of cores. Such as, I have a Quad, so i set the Host Procs. to 3. If you have an i7 with hyperthreading PT will see 8, set it to 7 ect...

Launch Pro Tools with Run As Admin.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
did you set your processors in Pro Tools to an odd number? usually 1 less than the total # of cores. Such as, I have a Quad, so i set the Host Procs. to 3. If you have an i7 with hyperthreading PT will see 8, set it to 7 ect...

Launch Pro Tools with Run As Admin.
That is interesting, "Run as Admin". I just did that and PT started ridiculously faster than normal.

I also changes those playback engine settings you suggested.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa View Post
That is interesting, "Run as Admin". I just did that and PT started ridiculously faster than normal.

I also changes those playback engine settings you suggested.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Yes Run As Admin is something you want to do everytime.

Run As Admin by Default

and its not just me saying that anymore, Avid is recommending it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVyk...eature=related

its at :55 secs to about 1:07

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio