Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Switching to Pro Tools?

Hello everyone!

I recently watched the videos on the elastic time functionality in pro tools 7.4. I was completely blown away as it is precisely what I'm looking for. I currently use Ableton Live 6 and Sonar 7. Live is great but it lacks functionality when it comes to recording. Sonar 7 is decent but I cannot for the life of me get it to work properly with my Virus Ti synth (it's driving me bonkers). I was considering Cubase 4.1, but Pro Tools 7.4 impressed me a great deal.

My hardware setup is as follows:
Intel Q6600
Asus P5K
2 GB RAM
7200 RPM HD
RME FF800

I hope people on the board here would be kind enough to help me answer a few questions while I research pro tools.

1) What are the most important Pro Tools LE limitations you run into? I could probably live with the 32 track limit, but are there any other major restrictions?
2) Does Pro Tools LE work properly with the Virus Ti?
3) Is my hardware setup good enough to run Pro Tools LE properly?
4) What would be the most efficient way to switch to Pro Tools LE from my current setup? I've considered replacing the FF800 with the 003 Rack, but that would mean that, even though I get access to the pro tools software, I would also downgrade my hardware because as far as I know the AD/DA and wordclock of the 003 aren't as good as those in the FF800. On the other hand, shelling out >6k USD for a Pro Tools HD system just to get access to the Pro Tools software seems a bit steep. If only I could purchase something like an Apogee Ensemble and be able to run Pro Tools LE on that....
5) Is elastic time really as impressive as can be seen in the videos? Or are you running into some issues not shown in the videos?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.