Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Default Input Recording other tracks

Hello! I'm new to pro tools and have figured it out for the most part, but I have a major problem with recording. Every time I record, the track picks up other tracks while I'm laying vocals. I mute the track when I record but it still doesn't help, and I can't solo because I can't hear the instrumental. Even if I set up the other tracks to no input(they all share the same output) it still picks it up. I'm sure this is a problem with my i/o but I can't find any solutions. Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Input Recording other tracks

Are you using open-backed headphones? Have you checked your routing on all tracks?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 01-01-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: bad speeling.......:D
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Are you using open-backed headphones? Have you checked your touting on all tracks?
No, I am using closed back so it's not leaking. I have checked my routing and it's only using one input, but it's still recording all the tracks.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Please help! This is the only thing keeping me from recording hits on pro tools lol. Better than bouncing audio from another program which isn't good at keeping multiple takes.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphy View Post
Please help! This is the only thing keeping me from recording hits on pro tools lol. Better than bouncing audio from another program which isn't good at keeping multiple takes.
Hi,

If its a pro tools thing then it can only be 1 of several things...

1. The outputs from the other tracks are routed to the input on the recording track somehow.

2. Any sends on the other tracks are routed to the input on the recording track.

3. Any effects returns are routed to the input on the recording track!

Basically the only way audio from the other tracks can be recorded onto the vocal track is via routing to its input!!

Try a few things like put the vocal track into record and identify which other tracks are being recorded? Is it all of them? Or just some? There's a very logical explanation for this.

The other thing is your interface and if it has a control panel with routing options! But thats not a pro tools issue and unlikely to cause thus really.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

If its a pro tools thing then it can only be 1 of several things...

1. The outputs from the other tracks are routed to the input on the recording track somehow.

2. Any sends on the other tracks are routed to the input on the recording track.

3. Any effects returns are routed to the input on the recording track!

Basically the only way audio from the other tracks can be recorded onto the vocal track is via routing to its input!!

Try a few things like put the vocal track into record and identify which other tracks are being recorded? Is it all of them? Or just some? There's a very logical explanation for this.

The other thing is your interface and if it has a control panel with routing options! But thats not a pro tools issue and unlikely to cause thus really.

Chris
I have checked all of this and I don't think I have anything routed wrong with the tracks I'm recording in. It records all the tracks that I have audio clips on. The problem might be with my interface. I'll check and follow up.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM

You might also use photobucket(or similar) to upload and link to some screen shots showing your MIX window(where we can view all your routing) and a shot of your monitoring utility for your interface(which, BTW, we have no idea about)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
You might also use photobucket(or similar) to upload and link to some screen shots showing your MIX window(where we can view all your routing) and a shot of your monitoring utility for your interface(which, BTW, we have no idea about)
Right lol..I am using a Focusrite Saffire 2i2. I have done some more testing and it seems that whatever is in my output is leaking into my recording input for tracks. I will try to post pics of the mix window but everything looks fine, input 1 for the track I'm recording on, the outputs are all on 1-2 stereo but it seems that's the problem. Any way to fix this?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Also a snapshot of your I/O settings

PT>Setup>I/O setup>input Tab as well as Output

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-12-2023, 02:51 AM

Hello, I recently ran into this problems too. May ask if you have solved the problems or not, how did you solve it ? Thanks a lot