Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Hey PPC users - What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
and even commenting on the load time for a large session, and the general lag of a 5-6 year old Mac.
Odd.... moving from PT 5 to 6, I noticed slower performance on loading, and then the change from 6 to 7 was MARKEDLY slower. I've never seen plugins load so slow in ProTools before I started using 7.4. Version 8 seems like an obvious one to skip, but I'm not moving to 9 until I hear nothing except how fast and stable it is (compared to 7, not 8.) In my experience upgrading software =/= upgrading speed.

This is a big day for LE guys... not so much for TDM.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:

The 4 things off the top of my head running 2 machines/rigs at once are:

1. Latency issues? Sync issues? (I havent gotten my brain around it yet)

2. Tracking Work Flow - 50% of the time I am tracking so I would be sitting at my main dual-screen desk with HD3 rig. But while tracking, there is always a need for one or 2 VIs. If the " cool new " ones are on the PT9 rig, how am I gonna set this up ergonomically? Is it even worth it.

3. Mixing Work Flow - The other 50% is mixing which I would want the best of both worlds. If I can now use a ton of RTAS Reverb and Delays like Sound Toys and TL Space etc on the PT 9 rig to save chips on my HD rig, how would the integration work? Maybe an 8 channel ADAT device on the LE system to feed my 192 four stems digitally? But once again, sync/latency? Sends from HD rig to PT9 rig?

4. MIDI... I want to REDUCE slop, not increase it. Need to think that one thru as well.
1. Haven't figured out how to sync them up but I doubt it's impossible. Latency should be minimal.

2. I plan on tracking only to my PPC computer for latency and the better A/D. The Mac Pro would be strictly for Midi and Softsynths.

3. This would be a work in progress.

4. Midi wouldn't be an issue if you keep it all one one machine.

My goal would be to eventually move each track to the older PPC computer for mixing. Right now that computer is happy with that job. Plenty of plugins and DSP.

So I can print all my VI and Reason stuff on the Mac Pro, then import those tracks from a local network on to the PPC computer.

While this seems like a PITA, it makes a lot of sense as I can upgrade slowly. And eventually get PCIe cards or just go all Native. Or stick with this. I'll know what makes sense because I'll have a brand new system and my trusty old one at all times.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Cmon PPC HD users, lets figure this out ! :)

MT

Many of us HAVE figured this out as of late. There has been a HUGE exodus to 8 core + Magma chassis recently. Keeping our PCIx cards, and adding some to boot. PT9 is nice, but has really not much impact on high end PT systems/users other than the ability to run PT9 on a laptop or other ancillary computer.

Retire your G5, keep your x cards, get a magma, get a new Mac Pro, buy up a few more cheapo x accel cards and rule the world with a system that rivals anything.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:28 AM

I have a feeling Avid will still release new cards at some point. Along with a 004 with 32 i/o. These are the last things to be updated.
They are just trying to milk the old stuff a little longer.
They want us to jump now, but I think more is coming.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM

I don't really see a big deal about PT 9. For $350 upgrade what is it going to do for me, not much. Most of the features I do need. I do have an HD and a LE systems, and would love to use my laptop. But the bigger picture here is Digidesign/Avid has totally over looked the people who got them where they are now. These guys have been catering to the low end user for a long time now and making HD users jump through hoops. How long have we all been sitting around asking for a FAIR upgrade,crossgrade, etc... option to help us buy yet more Avid gear and stay in the game and be a team player with Avid? I don't know about others here, but I bought my HD rig when it first came out. Then they changed HD cards and went to Accel. They took care of me for this change. Then they changed once again to PCie and left use behind. All of these changes happened in a short period of time and shows that they didn't really think it through when first launching HD, as the new PCie computers hit the market. Digidesign at the time must have surely known that PCie was going to be the future, yet they sold two out dated HD cards to their comsumers (which we are all one of these consumers). Why didn't they just make PCie cards from the beginning and we all wouldn't be in this boat?
I am a prisnor to the HD PPC world and have done my time. I would love a new computer, but not for $4,000 to go from PCIx to PCie cards and get pretty much the same results as I have now, and on thop of that theres all the talk that TDM is going bye, bye. Common Avid, take care of us here. Help us to keep using your products and keep talking good about you guys.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Digidesign at the time must have surely known that PCie was going to be the future, yet they sold two out dated HD cards to their comsumers (which we are all one of these consumers). Why didn't they just make PCie cards from the beginning and we all wouldn't be in this boat?
The answer is "Why did you buy PCI cards if you knew PCIe cards were coming?"

Obviously with the development lead time required to design and build the cards... they didn't know PCIe was coming.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Hey Kenny -

If you're lookin' to make a dollar hollar (and who isn't these days) do this to upgrade:

http://www.magma.com/comersus_viewIt...?idProduct=182
$1499 including cable and card

Used Intel Mac Pro - Can be had for $1100 or so.

You'll be able to use your existing cards and upgrade to PT 9. Oh and you can also buy the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack which is very cool.

You can probably get $300-$400 for your old PPC mac.

I did this with a Magma 2 slot (I only had 2 cards) and it works GREAT!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
The answer is "Why did you buy PCI cards if you knew PCIe cards were coming?"

Obviously with the development lead time required to design and build the cards... they didn't know PCIe was coming.

Rail
Maybe I did not say it correctly - sorry. I did not know PCIe was coming or I would have waited for this. I was referring to Digidesign knowing what was coming before hand.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Hey Kenny -

If you're lookin' to make a dollar hollar (and who isn't these days) do this to upgrade:

http://www.magma.com/comersus_viewIt...?idProduct=182
$1499 including cable and card

Used Intel Mac Pro - Can be had for $1100 or so.

You'll be able to use your existing cards and upgrade to PT 9. Oh and you can also buy the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack which is very cool.

You can probably get $300-$400 for your old PPC mac.

I did this with a Magma 2 slot (I only had 2 cards) and it works GREAT!
Justin, Thanks this is worth looking into.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Maybe I did not say it correctly - sorry. I did not know PCIe was coming or I would have waited for this. I was referring to Digidesign knowing what was coming before hand.
My point is that they have no more information than you do... and especially if you consider it probably takes them about 2 years to develop and design a card.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••