Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Default Will making inessential tracks inactive help reduce latency while recording?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I really appreciate it!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Will making inessential tracks inactive help reduce latency while recording?

It won't reduce latency dirctly, but it may reduce errors or allow you to run with a lower IO buffer size... that would reduce latency. If you want help with latency, what exact problem are you trying to solve, and provide a clear description of your hardware/software setup.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Will making inessential tracks inactive help reduce latency while recording?

There's not really a specific latency problem I'm trying to solve. I've been getting some latency but I can usually solve the problem by using Slip Mode to align the clip with the correct timing. This question about inactivating tracks was more of a curiosity than a musically debilitating problem, but thanks for the response!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:21 PM

You have a latency or delay compensation issue? Have a play with/read about delay compensation if you are not using it/aware of it.

Darryl
Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You have a latency or delay compensation issue? Have a play with/read about delay compensation if you are not using it/aware of it.

Darryl
^ What he said.

Recording latency tends to have more to do with your interface and how it is connected to your computer (ie, firewire, usb, etc) rather than which plugins you use. Disabling plugins can help you if you are having trouble recording at a lower buffer size (use as low as possible while recording!), but generally won't directly affect input latency.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
^ What he said.

Recording latency tends to have more to do with your interface and how it is connected to your computer (ie, firewire, usb, etc) rather than which plugins you use. Disabling plugins can help you if you are having trouble recording at a lower buffer size (use as low as possible while recording!), but generally won't directly affect input latency.
All true, but wait! There's MORE(have your credit card ready). Just to expound a bit more, running the lowest buffer will usually solve input latency, but there's a bit more to it as high-latency plugins can still back things up. The solution can be to enable ADC and look at the numbers across the bottom of the MIX window(set MIX window to show delay compensation). Look for orange numbers higher than 64 samples. Those will indicate tracks with plugins that have some latency. By making those plugins inactive(right-click>Make Inactive) you will eliminate the worst plugin latency(and you don't lose plugin settings or automation). That's usually enough to record some overdubs after a mix is "built", but if you have a computer that is not a real powerhouse, making some tracks inactive might give you back enough horsepower to actually USE the lowest buffer setting

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave