Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-08-2021, 01:25 PM

Default Brand New S1 and Dock - Confused

All,

I appreciate any insight into this but I just bought both the Avid S1 and Dock, both are running Avid Control and I could use some clarification please.
I also purchased a new iPad Pro (2021) 12.9" that I intend to use with the S1 and another 10.2" iPad I'd like to dedicate to the Dock.

I have EuControl setup and it sees all Control Surfaces as well as Control running on both iPads but my hope was to use the Dock and it's fader for any focused channel and automation. On the S1 I am unable to get all encoders to see my plugin parameters so I can change them with these encoders. The iPad Pro displays the 1st 8 faders and the smaller iPad displays the Meters after I did the following...

After watching a YouTube video it showed a specific order in which I should add the control surfaces and Control apps in EuControl. That order was this: 1) Add the S1, 2) drag the smaller iPad which sits in the Dock on top of the S1 in EuControl and its Linked, 3) Add the Avid Control app which is running on the larger iPad Pro and 4) Add the Dock

Now on the larger iPad which is on the S1I select Channel then on my focused fader I select a plugin, let's assume an EQ. This is where I am confused; the OLED displays on the S1 channels only show the track names and Pan. How do I have them and the encoders allow me to change the plugins parameters?

Lastly, I'm just curious what most of you use a combined Dock with an S1 for. I have yet to see how the Jog wheel is used. I apologize but I have read and watched quite a bit on this but am unable to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 10-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Avid

Default Re: Brand New S1 and Dock - Confused

EUCON is very deep in its feature set and it does take a while to get all the prefs set for the workflows you want. You are in the right place to ask questions though. Firstly the tablet you drag onto the S1 is the one that you want to be its meter bridge...so the 12".
Features are a lot dependent on which DAW and version you have? For the knobs on the S1 to control the plugins/sends or pan you have to use the function buttons at the top. These work in two different modes, normal and channel (See the Channel button which is Shift+Flip) In Channel mode all 8 knobs are controlling the same plugin/pan of the Attention track, in normal mode each strip/knob is separate and controlling that track (good for pan L/R). The S1 automatically goes into Channel mode for EQ and DYN Functions but you can manually change it using that Channel button.
Another thing to try is the setting Open Windows on Workstation when knobs assigned from DAW click, this will pit the plugin you clicked on in PT onto whatever is set here. It will also be used to know which plugin to open in PT (The one from the Dock or S1(channel mode knobs))
Old 10-09-2021, 10:37 AM

Fantastic - I think I have the iPad's in the correct order. Understood what you said about the learning curve. I should have noted I am running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 (19H1419) and I use Pro Tools Version 2021.7.

Do you use a similar setup with a Dock as well as an S1 or S3? I'm absolutely interested in hearing how people with a similar setup as mine use each surface. Ideally the smaller iPad is the meter bridge and sits on the Dock which I expect to use as the control surface for automation, transport, etc.

So if I do the reverse and drag my smaller iPad onto the S1 that will become the meter bridge on the Dock? I should then be able to rely on the larger 12.9" iPad which is on top of the S1 to work with the plugins?

One quick question, are the function buttons on the S1 limited in how many of the plugins options they can control? As an example I could insert a standard 1176, select the track and be able to access threshold and ratio but other plugs I am unable to access attack, release...deeper functions of the plugin.

If you or anyone has time for a little more hand-holding I'd appreciate it.

Best,

Rick
Old 10-12-2021, 09:39 AM
Avid

Try the smaller iPad on top of the S1 and the 12" on the Dock. Then turn the 12" into portrait to fit on the Dock. See what happens to the screen Layout!
You should read up on Custom Knobs ;-)
Old 10-13-2021, 01:12 PM

Hi EJ!

Thanks for the follow-up. I just tried that setup and it may be preferred for me. It's just how the encoders on the Dock don't line up with the iPad display but I can get used to that. I have looked at some videos on Custom Knobs which I'll need to learn but I haven't found any decisive video showing how to create them for specific plugins. I use a lot of UAD as well as Plugin-Alliance plugins and as of now if I load a UAD SSL Channel Strip the encoders allow me to change Low, Low-Mid, Hi-Mid frequency and gain but no Queue and especially no Hi EQ options. It's similar for the UAD API Vision Channel Strip.

I'll keep plugins away but I like your latest response in moving the iPad's. If you have any recommendations on Custom Knob videos please send them along.

Best,

Rick
Old 10-13-2021, 01:23 PM

Quick Update:
I did just by chance scroll on the iPad after I highlighted the SSL plugin and I found extra parameters there.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:05 PM
Avid

You can create Custom knobs for EQ/DYN and Inserts. EQ and DYN are limited to the standard EUCON knobs and there's just one map for all plugins but will display all plugins the same. Inserts have all knobs. Any knob that has 2 functions (mostly Freq and Q) can be put together or split apart to separate knobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfQS0KMj5fw
Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM

Hello again!

I have made some progress and that video was very helpful. After I create the Custom Knobs I don't always have all of the functions I enabled on the encoders though. Example: I'll create a 1 x 8 for a UAD API Channel Strip. In fact I'll create multiple pages to handle the EQ vs DYN vs Filters but the 8 encoders on my S1 don't always populate what should be there. I have tried using the Page < Page > buttons as well but there's no change.

I always test this by making sure I am working on the "attention" track if that matters. Can you help please?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:28 PM
Avid

Are you in channel mode or not on the S1? (Shift Flip)
Old 10-22-2021, 07:27 AM

Hi -

I have tried this a few times in each mode. I wonder if the software doesn't work as well with some plugs?

Another example of oddities is this, after selecting Custom I can see all of the options to drag into encoders 1-8. A few times I will start by dragging a Low EQ (GAIN) into the top left (encoder 1) then in encoder 2 I will drag the Low Frequency. When I'm done these are actually reversed with the Frequency being on encoder 1 and the Gain on encoder 2.

I'll keep plugging away.

On a side note I give you all the credit in the world for doing what you do. I am not a newbie by any means to engineering but with these control surfaces I am. You've been a fantastic resource and I appreciate it.

Rick