Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Default Too many loose pedals!

Hello once again.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong combination of words in my search, so I apologize.

In the course ("chorus" ) of 2 weeks, I went from 4 guitar pedals to 9. When I saw 5 lined up, I thought this can only get messier. You see, I record in my bedroom, and I've specifically chosen my pedals to mix and match their sounds. Two Metal Zones combined with my new Dunlop MXR Phase 90 and Boss Tremolo is awesome, but having to sacrifice one for my Flanger and another for my Distortion pedal is a sacrifice I'd rather not have to make.

The problem of course is there's so many on my floor, begging to get kicked around. I can't be the only one looking for solutions. I searched "pedal mount" to no avail. There has to be an actual name for something that holds your pedals in place, does anyone know such a name?

Consider me stupid for asking, but 4 pedals was manageable and the thought of adding so many so quickly never came to mind until I got them all. (Just need a Wah/multi effect, and a Reverb)

If possible, does anyone maybe know any websites that give you instructions on building your own... [insert name of doo-hicky here]

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Too many loose pedals!

Nevermind. I just found a way to make a pedal BOARD. Haha, coincidentally, I saw someone use the name (on another site) seconds after posting the above! Sorry for the now needless thread. Off to building my own!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Some companies like Furman, SKB, etc. produce pedal boards with many power options and routing options for all your pedals (up to a certain point of course). The advantage is that it allows you to mix and match pedals that require different power supplies and A/C. They did the work to come up with a design that can hold your pedals in place and also to make it easier for you to transport your setup from place to place with out having to disconnect everything and reconnect again. The best pedal board in the world will not help unless you have a plan on how your are going to connect and route your signal. Start there and be prepared to replan your signal path with each new pedal you add. You may need to experiment quite a bit with different setups and sequences before you get what you want. It's a fun process however. There are some preferred guidelines but it is your sound and you are free to break any rules.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 AM

If you aren't terribly limited by budget I highly recommend building your own pedal board. It's always a better call. Here's a pic of my unfinished one (power supply needs to be mounted and I'll probably paint the whole thing) http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...ers/photo2.jpg

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar486 View Post
If you aren't terribly limited by budget I highly recommend building your own pedal board. It's always a better call. Here's a pic of my unfinished one (power supply needs to be mounted and I'll probably paint the whole thing) http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...ers/photo2.jpg
Nice rig bro!!!
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks man, been workin on it a while. All that's left to do is mount power supply, mount a couple neutrik jacks and solder them, paint, and rock out.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 09-10-2009, 12:03 PM

I remember Zack Wylde as saying something like go to Home Depot and get a piece of plywood and a couple of zinc plated handles and some Velcro. Screw the handles to the plywood, Velcro the pedals down and anoint with beer. Black paint optional.

If you gig there are a lot off nice options. I'm eying up a PedalTrain unit.

A piece of plywood covered with carpet or black paint can work just as well as a fancy store bought one. The store bought stuff often has a cover to protect your stuff while transporting it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Yeah, building a case is my next step. Although I'll look into molded cases too, if any fit the odd shape of my board and aren't $1000.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses!

Guitar486, I'm VERY limited by budget. I just bought a new amp, 3 new pedals, and I stayed up all day until 3 pm after a nightshift and doing a nightshift tonight waiting to buy a new Ibanez bass I've been waiting for. (The guy knows I work nights and decided to wait until two hours ago to reply to my email about times. Kind of want to punch him at the door now...)

BUT my limitations in my budget is nothing! I've already got TONS of 2x4's and plywood in my backyard, waiting for guitar projects. Just finished my custom amp rack. So, next, I'll be building my own pedal board!

I like the one you've made. The curve seems practical enough. Wondering how you're mounting the power supply.

I think I'm going to include the power supply right into the back of the pedal board. Put the board up on a bit of a slant and drill a few holes through the board and 2x4s so I can have the power cords under the board, coming up only where exactly needed.

Thanks again to everyone for all the responses!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, building a case is my next step. Although I'll look into molded cases too, if any fit the odd shape of my board and aren't $1000.

I should add that that is a very nicely laid out board. Will it fit in a keyboard case?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88