Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-17-2021, 12:08 AM

Default Re: GUI short freeze and beachball still on 2021.7

The clean install thing is of course a problem as it's not ever been explained or confirmed, really. But I've used it many, many times over the years with success, so I'm among those who recommend it. I found this out early in OSX days, with the big cats, and PT v 5 and 6, thereabouts. I did have a commercial studio back then, and pushed both hardware and software to their limits. Just my two cents.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:09 AM

Well definition of "clean install" is "install operating system on empty hard drive", but the problem is Avid is not requiring it on their knowledgebase articles.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well definition of "clean install" is "install operating system on empty hard drive", but the problem is Avid is not requiring it on their knowledgebase articles.
To give some perspective on the OS update method of troubleshooting: I am the opposite of those that advocate this approach. I have done maybe 2 of these in my 18 years of using Pro Tools HD/Ultimate as a post production mixer - that's been my sole income source, as in every day use, running multiple rigs over dozens of OS iterations. Huge sessions, lots of plug-ins. So when things haven't been running properly, it was usually a result of either 3rd party software, or conflicts between Mac OS and PT. These clean installs may possibly make your systems run better, but they are a time consuming pain in the bum IMHO, and only to be used as a last resort if your software won't work AT ALL. (And I would try making a new user profile every time before going down this path.)

Anyway, as per my previous post on this thread, can someone who uses Waves 12.7 please confirm my hypothesis? I've reached out to their support team but I'd like some backup...

Thanks!
Nathan
Old 09-17-2021, 12:54 AM

As said, I have dark history of being a part of DigiDesign beta team. There is no other way of nailing down a problem than starting with a clean install. That is why it is important. Until you have a problem you would not care.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbottomend View Post
Anyway, as per my previous post on this thread, can someone who uses Waves 12.7 please confirm my hypothesis? I've reached out to their support team but I'd like some backup...
Maybe not what you want to hear, but can you roll back to Waves v11? I believe the only difference is the GUI rework which in this case might be the prime suspect, with scaling and all, but the plugins are the same.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Maybe not what you want to hear, but can you roll back to Waves v11? I believe the only difference is the GUI rework which in this case might be the prime suspect, with scaling and all, but the plugins are the same.
It's a good suggestion, but I'm not sure if 11 will run on 10.15.7. Besides which, I am really interested to hear if the other people having this issue (who've piped up in this thread) have Waves 12 installed.

Thanks though!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:48 AM

Yes it will, but welcome to WavesHell
Old 09-17-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
As said, I have dark history of being a part of DigiDesign beta team. There is no other way of nailing down a problem than starting with a clean install. That is why it is important. Until you have a problem you would not care.
JFreak, you've made your position clear. I've said my bit. The thing to understand is that if we consistently follow certain behaviour, we will inevitably suffer from confirmation bias that it is the best course of action. Flexibility is the key and the means to better understanding and peace.

The important question is: do you use Waves 12?
Old 09-17-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbottomend View Post
Jdo you use Waves 12?
I have been Waves free ever since they stopped supporting "all major platforms", as in Avid DSP.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Being a former beta tester I know that ONE bad behaving plugin may cause havoc to top of the line best money can buy system. So can factory install of operating system as well. Clean install is a way to go no matter which hardware and what kind of sessions.
Well you are talking about doing clean install on a BRAND NEW mac which I never heard anyone we work with all over the world in BIG industry studios and not one person who are the techs on all these million dollar studios with some of the best producers in the world and I have asked as you are thr only person keep saying to do a clean macOS install on a brand new computer and sorry but none lf these highly knowledgeble techs have ever reinstalled and viped a new computer ever!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————