Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-23-2000, 03:21 PM

Default mLan - the future of digital audio connections ?

There has been recent articles on a firewire based digital audio interface/protocol developed by Yamaha which can carry as many as 50 channels of digital audio as well as midi, librarian type info and the ability to send samples to a sampler. It seems like a really trick solution to all those dodgy cables I have in my studio as it has the ability to replace midi, adat and scsi(in some cases - i.e to a sampler) in one fell swoop. Better yet you can daisy chain all the digital devices in your set up. Given the fact that most new synths are digital, samplers obviously are and pre amp/voice strip/producer pack systems like the Focusrite ISA have digital options it seems like an incredibly clever solution for music networking.

Has anyone out there come across more info than recent Sound on Sound (British mag)articles.

Is Digidesign looking at this new technology ?

Old 08-24-2000, 03:03 AM

Default Re: mLan - the future of digital audio connections ?

mLan will never quite be what Midi became after it's introduction in '83 as Midi brought in many new things that couldn't be done with the existing CV/Gate technology. mLan is kind of simplifying what can already be done with audio, Midi etc(pretty well in the case of audio with the ADAT lightpipe). Granted it will be a nice solution and will make Midi a lot more managable (and faster) but I reckon many of us won't be using much in the way of outboard gear at all soon. With the advent of OSX and multi processors, we will eventually be able to run entire studios worth of sound generating gear, audio recording and mixing in one computer (we're not that far off now). mLan will then be useful but not a real breakthrough in the way we work.
Old 08-26-2000, 06:20 AM

Default Re: mLan - the future of digital audio connections ?

I would agree in some ways in that it is more of a logical extension of existing technologies than something blindingly new but would think of it as quite a breakthrough in that it is much more 'ergonomic' in the sense of being a human working on a stage or a studio.

Midi is as you point out quite (very) old and is therefore a bit of a donkey. Transfering samples to my EMU is a nightmare via SCSI and the expensive ADAT outputs are 20 bit only and 16 channels only. There is nothing in EOS to tell you whether you are clocked correctly or not mLan would eliminate a lot of this. Many smaller studios are two man operations now and anything that makes life easier for human operators can only be a good thing.

There is news in that Apple are building support for mLan directly into OS X