Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-25-2000, 11:17 AM

Default Is the USD worth the cost?

I have a Opcode 64XTC which I originally used to sync Adats. I now need to sync PT with DA-88s and 2" tape (not at the same time).

The 64XTC has SMPTE I/O, but for professional applications, is the USD that much better? I don't need all the extra bells and whistles, just rock solid SMPTE lockup. (Also, because of Opcode's demise, I am tentative to put the XTC back into action).

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2000, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Is the USD worth the cost?

Keep your Studio 64. It is almost as fast and accurate as the USD. Besides, the USD setup application doesn't even work with Digi's own serial port . You have to connect it to a Mac serial port (if you have one!) to use the setup application. You can change S64 settings from the OMS control panel easily enough. Also, you still need a MIDI interface if you are hooking up any MIDI controllersand a keyboard, since the USD doen't do MIDI merge.

Bob
Old 08-25-2000, 09:17 PM

I don't mind having to use an onboard serial port to setup the USD, as I already have one installed in my G4. What I am really concerned about it reliability.

I read in an old issue of Keyboard mag that the USD was approx 4 samples off, and the XTC was about 11 or (I don't remember exactly). All the other sync boxes on the market that KB tested were 40+ samples off.

I am also concerned about how reliable the box will be for my application. If a problem arises, I can't contact Opcode. Only scrambled online at the DUC to find an answer.

Hmmm... maybe I've answered my own question. If anyone out there has more praises (or concerns) with the XTC (or the USD, for that matter), I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2000, 12:41 AM

Uno:
From my own experience (post for film), the fact that it communicates directly with PT is its major benefit. We work at pulldown all the time and having that button switch the SR is worth the $1000 bucks extra! Saves alot of stress. All the extras (burn in, VITC etc.) is just icing. And connected to the Digiserial port, lock time is almost instant. Just my $0.02
-Polaris
Old 08-26-2000, 09:51 AM

I have both the 64XTC and the USD and I love them both. You're right, the sample error is supposed to be only +-11 samples or something with the 64XTC, which is pretty cool in a $300 box.

But I'm very happy I bought a USD. First, the lock up time is *so* much faster than the 64XTC (those of you that have one know how painfully slow it is to lock to code). If you're chasing tape a lot, the time you save with the USD will make buying one well worth it. You'll also save a lot of time because you can control many of the key parameters of the USD directly from Pro Tools, so you won't need to be switching to OMS Setup all the time. Also, even though we're talking about 4 versus 11 samples of error, it's still 1/3 the error of the XTC and, I might be a fool, but I think transfers sound better with it. Finally, and this is just a really small thing, I LOVE being able to see time code on the USDs display. It gives you one less thing to worry about when stuff isn't locking up or working with you rig.

Bad things about the USD? Every once in a while it gets freaky and needs to be power cycled. Also, not being able to use USD Setup with the Digi Serial Port is really lame, but in practice I never need to use USD Setup so it's not an issue for me.

Get a USD, but keep the 64XTC for midi and a backup...
Old 08-26-2000, 10:00 AM

When the USD used to be flakey (old firmware), we tried the 64XTC, and it was just disaster for us. The weird thing is that it's fine for a lot of people, but we just couldn't get it to work. Others have had the same problem.

Since the firmware improvements, the USD has been a champ, save for the occasional "lost communcation" problems. I totally trust its lockup now.

There is still a bug in PT however, USD or no, that comes up, especially when relocking with quickpunch on. After a 1/2 or 1 hour of this, the locktime slows - it "prerolls" earlier and earlier (the cursor sets itself later, is what I mean), and after a while it just doesn't lock. The workaround for this is to change the value of the "min sync time" in the sync peripherals dialog. Just by one frame will do it - it resets PT's sync "learning".

dc
Old 08-26-2000, 10:08 AM

Hey thanks for the responses-- that's really helpful....