Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2022, 10:47 AM

Default Guitar Rig 6

I want to purchase the guitar rig 6 but I want to make sure that I can record my guitar using the software at the same time that I am playing/recording. My concern is because reading the user manual it says:
“Using the stand-alone application provides the most efficient way of playing an instrument through GUITAR RIG. If the computer is not used for recording, editing, and arranging the music, the stand-alone application turns it into a powerful, dedicated effects rack to process your instrument.”

I m using the computer to recording using Protools.
Can I recording in protools using guitar rig as stand alone?
Old 01-03-2022, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 6

Of course you can use Guitar Rig 6 as an insert, choose a sound you like, listen to it and record it at the same time. But Guitar Rig 6 is very cpu hungry, a few instances and my computer kneels... but in my opinion is it a very powerful tool!
Old 01-03-2022, 11:29 AM

Thanks this is very helpful
Old 01-04-2022, 05:37 AM

I've got Guitar Rig 6 but haven't installed it yet.

I have used GR5 a lot on inserts recording with Pro Tools. It is an excellent product all-around, and I am sure V6 will be even better. There are scores of useful presets to get you started and a pile of amps, pedals and more. Some presets have quite a few modules but I haven't found it to be overtly CPU heavy, even on my old 2012 i7. On the new M1 there's absolutely no issue in 'normal' use.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-04-2022, 06:44 AM

You list in your profile that you are using Pro Tools First, which does not support third party plug-ins and will not run Guitar Rig 6.

You will need to upgrade to Pro Tools Standard if you wish to use Guitar Rig 6 or any of the other guitar sim plug-ins.

Avid offers a 30-day trial of Pro Tools and IK Multimedia offers Guitar Rig 6 Player, which is their free version. This may be the way to go to see if this works for your needs.

Without any information, other than that you have an i5 processor, it's hard to say how well your system will perform for tracking live guitar. You may want to start with the free version of GR6 to see if it is acceptable in stand-alone mode, then try the PT trial and make sure performance is acceptable while recording before dropping any cash.

System Details
Old 01-04-2022, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback
. I have Protools standard and i tried the guitar free version and it works only as an effect but not like standalone that's why my concern. I was assuming is because is the free version it didn't work as stand alone.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:01 AM

When you say that it didn't work as stand-alone, do you mean you do not have the option to run it as a stand-alone app or when you run the stand-alone app, it is not functioning properly?

I could be wrong, but I thought the free version allows you to run stand-alone, there just aren't as many amps, cabs, effects....

System Details
Old 01-04-2022, 11:51 AM

When I tried the free version I could used only like an effect (record a normal guitar then applied an effect). What I want to do is the same that I am doing with my BOSS GT-1 Pedal effect, I connected the guitar to the pedal then thru the Focusrite interface so I can listen the effect that I am applying to the guitar and at the same time recording.

The free version, as you mentioned, has only a few presets but I couldn't recorded the guitar at the same time that I was using the effect.

I play the guitar listening the effect but when I review what I recorded the sound of the guitar is plain, flat with no effect

Last edited by chonapelon; 01-04-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:18 PM

You should just need to add GT6 as in insert to the armed track you are recording the guitar on.
Then just monitor (listen to) the output, not the input, as you play and record.

ProTools only actually records the raw guitar signal, so you can actually completely change any settings in GT6 after recording. Or scrap it altogether and use a completely different plug-in.
Then consolidate when happy.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:51 PM

I think finally found the problem. The low lateny monitoring in protools was on and it was blocking the signal of Guitar Rig 6. Hopefully this help to another guys.

Thanks all for the support.