Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM

Default Re: If You Had To Start Over.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
It's not like used dual 2.5 G5s are comanding big bucks these days.....Why not snag a DP G5 and use the cards you alrady own. It's no Mac Pro but the last I checked they were dirt cheap.
True...but I sold the HD2 Accel system out of my G5..so I would have to shell out another $2000 for another HD2 Accel..So I figured I could go more modern. I had and HD2 PCIe system on an 8 core Mac, but had to return it to the chruch I was working for.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
HD all the WAY...

TDM is the only choice for me....
Honestly, out of curiosity, can you explain why?

I would seriously have to think about it if I were buying in now. To me the monitoring latency is a huge issue - really the only one. We have two systems here, one of which I think I'll run natively for say six weeks or so and see if it really works.

I've used LE in the past, and the restrictions drove me crazy - but the vast majority of those are gone now. The main thing being having to fiddle with playback engine settings for days. I remember getting a 001 to go with my PTIII system years ago - (more tracks for cheap!!) - and it was only then I noticed there was such thing as a playback engine setting - I had never noticed it in the TDM system!

But now there's a horse of a different colour running around out there! When more RAM can be addressed when it goes 64bit, maybe that'll be the hammer hitting the nail in the TDM coffin again! Maybe....

David

http://www.studioblackbox.fr
twitter: @studioblackbox
Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlum View Post
Honestly, out of curiosity, can you explain why?

I would seriously have to think about it if I were buying in now. To me the monitoring latency is a huge issue - really the only one. We have two systems here, one of which I think I'll run natively for say six weeks or so and see if it really works.

I've used LE in the past, and the restrictions drove me crazy - but the vast majority of those are gone now. The main thing being having to fiddle with playback engine settings for days. I remember getting a 001 to go with my PTIII system years ago - (more tracks for cheap!!) - and it was only then I noticed there was such thing as a playback engine setting - I had never noticed it in the TDM system!

But now there's a horse of a different colour running around out there! When more RAM can be addressed when it goes 64bit, maybe that'll be the hammer hitting the nail in the TDM coffin again! Maybe....

David

Because there is still this perception that the ten year old cards have some kind of magic to "guarantee rock solid performance." I got news...there is plenty of stability in power in modern Macs and PCs. If there wasn't, the TDM system would be useless anyway, right? Last I heard it runs on a computer.

Unless you are doing 300 tracks and needs lots of IO, TDM is an odd choice for someone starting out of the gate, at this point.

TH
Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 PM

With that I do--I would still go with the TDM cards. While the new HD Native does have ADC which is critical for me and it does have incredibly low latency, having ZERO latency when I'm dealing with live broadcast is critical. I also need to know exactly how much DSP available I have, having TDM and also native is also a big plus for what I do with broadcast. What I wish others would see is that there is no longer this little LE product and the big ole expensive HD product----there are various systems available for every level of user and price point. The fact is---there are many that would have gone with HD and now the HD Native is perfect for them! However, there are still those high level users who have HD or have to have HD. Just because it's not viable to you doesn't mean it's not a viable product.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
With that I do--I would still go with the TDM cards. While the new HD Native does have ADC which is critical for me and it does have incredibly low latency, having ZERO latency when I'm dealing with live broadcast is critical. I also need to know exactly how much DSP available I have, having TDM and also native is also a big plus for what I do with broadcast. What I wish others would see is that there is no longer this little LE product and the big ole expensive HD product----there are various systems available for every level of user and price point. The fact is---there are many that would have gone with HD and now the HD Native is perfect for them! However, there are still those high level users who have HD or have to have HD. Just because it's not viable to you doesn't mean it's not a viable product.
I think calling HD TDM users "high level" is the problem. It implies some kind of qualitative difference when in reality the only difference is I/O) and track count. The latency in HD Native is so low that it is a non factor.

TH
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
I think calling HD TDM users "high level" is the problem. It implies some kind of qualitative difference when in reality the only difference is I/O) and track count. The latency in HD Native is so low that it is a non factor.

TH
Have to agree with you one hundred per cent - if this move by Avid does one good thing, it will be to prove the point that's it what you do with the tools you have that's important - the value is not in the tools themselves.. Thankfully!

(Well for the HD user not any more )

d

Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlum View Post
if this move by Avid does one good thing, it will be to prove the point that's it what you do with the tools you have that's important - the value is not in the tools themselves..

I was thinking it was gonna get the brain trust at H20 cracking this thing faster than you can spell Synchrosoft
Old 11-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
An Apogee Symphony system with Rosetta/AD-DA's will give you all that and much cheaper. The lines are very blurred for all but the true high end facilities today.

For the guy using the Lynx Auora, get a PCIe AES card and give it a go.

I also STRONGLY feel Avid WILL release updated cards, they really have to for the Venue systems at the least, unless they plan to use UA cards for this in those systems. Gotta have GTD performance on those systems.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp